Car has problems and I need opinions!

May 20, 2005
Arkansas
Alright, here's my problem:

Ever since I had my cams installed the first time, my car hasn't been the same. The motor took a crap due to dropping a valve guide (due to improper install) and I had to find a replacement motor really quickly. I got a used '03 GT motor with 34k miles on it.

Well, that motor has some issues. It burns about 3-4 quarts between every oil change, 3-4k miles. It also has some strange sounds and seems to have no power sometimes. Sometimes when i'm sitting in traffic I can see a puff of smoke come out of the line between my hood and fenders, but sometimes it comes out of my fenderwells. That bothers me pretty badly too.

On top of that, the rearend needs to be rebuilt because it feels like some of the bearings are taking a crap on me now. That thing started going downhill after the 4.10's were put in.

I just bought a 13" Mach 1 brake kit: calipers, stainless steel braided lines, brembo rotors, pads. But now i'm a little unsure about putting it on the car.

What should I do about my situation? I figure there might be something majorly wrong with the motor and it might need to be replaced or rebuilt, but I don't know that for sure. I don't particularly want to put ANOTHER motor in it, I feel like it would just be like flushing money down the toilet.

Should I just fix all of its problems? or trade it off? or just try to wait it out for a while?... I know the last option is the worst possible route, but I just thought i'd throw it out there.

I wouldn't be able to trade it off until August anyways, so it'll have to wait a while. If I do trade it off, it will be for a Mach 1 and nothing else. And if that did happen, I would have everything taken off the car: Cams, valvesprings, headers, x-pipe, gears, shifter, pulleys, tb/plenum, intake, LCA's, wheels (replace with stock bullitts), spoiler, antenna.. everything! It would appear bone-stock except for the weld-in flowmasters and white-face gauges.

Don't say "Trade it off" just because it would be an upgrade, I want honest opinions. Help me out Stangnet!! :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Jason i would keep the car i mean you have alot of great parts on the car and if u get another car its prob gonna be what u have already so...And if its paid for then i would get another motor for it..far as the rear end master bearing kits not the pricey when i did mine i put new everything in...i would keep it thats just my 2 cents..

bring it to me for a couple weeks and ill get it running top notch. dont really know what to tell you. theres problems that need to be addressed. trade it in and start fresh seems like the way to go. this time dont go with used part (gears) and make sure someone reputable works on it (me). hope that helps mang

WOW man. Im sorry to hear your having all of those problems. +3 for getting a newer GT. Find another white one and put all of your stuff on that one. It probably will suck starting over but your current GT has too many problems

Thanks for the opinions, keep 'em comin!

As for a different car tho, I won't get a GT. If I got anything, it'll be a Mach 1. I love those cars :drool:

However, I will speak to Dynospeed Racing in Memphis tomorrow morning about my car and see what they say. They're the shop that did my cam install the correct way and they've done nothing but great things with people's mustangs.. including a couple TT '03-04 Cobras :hail2: