Car has trouble starting when its cold?

speed_racer

Founding Member
Jan 18, 2000
Longview, Texas
My car wont start when the motor has been sitting for more than a few hours. It will turn over, but wont start. I replaced the ignition coil and that didnt help.

I have discovered that if I leave the key in the "on" position for about 10-15 seconds, then it starts right up. Could this be something to do with the iginition module?

I know it is not fuel related....any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

speed_racer said:
My car wont start when the motor has been sitting for more than a few hours. It will turn over, but wont start. I replaced the ignition coil and that didnt help.

I have discovered that if I leave the key in the "on" position for about 10-15 seconds, then it starts right up. Could this be something to do with the iginition module?

I know it is not fuel related....any suggestions?

Maybe your fuel pump ?

I have almost the same problem, my car always never starts on first try.. after the 2nd or 3rd it starts, i usually manual pump the gas with turning key on-off on-off ...

I stated above that it is not a fuel problem. I dont have to pump the gas to get it going. All I have to do is turn the key to "on" or "accessory" for 10-15 seconds. I think this is to possibly heat up the module.

Anyone have a similar situation happen to them?

i know its not , i saw that you stated that before, it was for "thedammed" i forgot to quote him but i will again.

nevermind i read his post wrong anyways, forget my question

when my car wont start... i have noticed that there is no spark going from the distributor to the ignition coil... or vice versa. I did this by having someone start it inside the car while i held the plug wire a few inches away from the ignition coil.

when the motor is warm... it sparks just fine and then starts up when i put the wire back on. like i said before, i have replaced the coil and the wire and its still acting up.