car is broke need help!! vid

Night Shifter,
I grew up in a small town called Fairmont WV. Kinda miss the snow down here in Charlotte, NC.

It certainly sounds like at least your battery. Put it on a slow charger over night and clean all the terminals you can possibly reach including the ground strap to the engine.
If you can get it running reliable enough to get to an Advance Auto Parts (don't know if you have them up there) they can run a test in the parking lot that tests the battery, alternator, and starter and print out the results. It's pretty neat, they have you turn the lights on, A/C, etc, raise the rpm, pretty thorough.
Good luck:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Night Shifter,
I grew up in a small town called Fairmont WV. Kinda miss the snow down here in Charlotte, NC.

It certainly sounds like at least your battery. Put it on a slow charger over night and clean all the terminals you can possibly reach including the ground strap to the engine.
If you can get it running reliable enough to get to an Advance Auto Parts (don't know if you have them up there) they can run a test in the parking lot that tests the battery, alternator, and starter and print out the results. It's pretty neat, they have you turn the lights on, A/C, etc, raise the rpm, pretty thorough.
Good luck:nice:

Posted via Mobile Device thanks man..ive only been here a little bit...im actually from daytona...not too sure where fairmont is lol....im gonna have to take the battery to advanced to have them charge it cause i dont have anything here to charge it with..if that works and the car starts i will go báck and have them do what you said...thanks for the advice

To check a fuse with a multimeter set the meter on your Ohm setting which on yours would be the KΩ setting. One probe on either end of fuse. Good reading = 0 or short. Bad reading = OL or Open or Any really huge number. Would surprise me if you had any bad fuses though. Sounds to me like a bad battery. What kind of battery is this?

To check a fuse with a multimeter set the meter on your Ohm setting which on yours would be the K© setting. One probe on either end of fuse. Good reading = 0 or short. Bad reading = OL or Open or Any really huge number. Would surprise me if you had any bad fuses though. Sounds to me like a bad battery. What kind of battery is this?

Posted via Mobile Device thanks for the info...its an autocraft titanium...and its definatly still under warranty

yep sounds or reads like your battery is the culprit.
the cold can have a negative affect on your battery?
An bad battery can cause lots little weird stuff to start happening(exp. your instrument lights flashing staying on an all?)

yep sounds or reads like your battery is the culprit.
the cold can have a negative affect on your battery?
An bad battery can cause lots little weird stuff to start happening(exp. your instrument lights flashing staying on an all?)

Posted via Mobile Device ok just had the battery tested...the guy said it has 600 cold cranking amps and mine was reading 570... i told him what was happening and he said it sounded to him like a bad alt...so wtf? will it hurt to hook up jumper cable and try and jump the car? maybe i should just pull the trigger and buy an alternator anyway?

If it isn't your battery or alt, then the problem may be computer related. That clunking sound is strange, it seems to sound the the motor in the starter is trying to kick but, as someone else posted, there may be a gear issue. The fuel pump can be heard whining, and from the vid in the engine bay it sounds like the injectors are pressurizing.

:scratch: just think its your battery or stuck/or bad starter? the altenator doesn't have nothing to do with the "starting" of your engine does it? if your motor was surging "exp. at idle rpms goin up an down, when you rev it up an let off the gas engine wants to fall below normal idle rpm an possib. dies"? Then i would lean more to bad alt.
Your battery has the initial "cranking / starting" power?
Or possible a starter silinoid? but then i think you wouldn't even hear that clunk sound if that were the case?

Posted via Mobile Device ok worst possible case/scenario.....say for some reason i drop a seal or bearing or something...highly doubt it since everything is new and babied....but say that happens, could it sieze the motor, and if so would it make the noise its making while trying to start?

Posted via Mobile Device yeah....discount,autozone, and advanced couldnt even get it to bolt into their machine to test it...napa was the only place that could and they were having a little trouble with it...starting to wonder if they bs'd me on testing it cause their testing station was at the back of the store

Posted via Mobile Device ok worst possible case/scenario.....say for some reason i drop a seal or bearing or something...highly doubt it since everything is new and babied....but say that happens, could it sieze the motor, and if so would it make the noise its making while trying to start?
get a 19MM socket and a breaker bar. Try to turn the motor by hand using the front crank damper bolt (clockwise direction only). There will be some resistance through the compression cycle but it should be possible to turn over with moderate effort.

If the motor can be turned over by hand, it is not seized.

If it can not be turned by hand, the the noise you are hearing is the starter motor trying (in vain) to turn the motor over.

If the motor can be turned by hand and the battery is good and the terminals are clean and tight, then look at the starter itself.

Something about this still brothers me. Check the battery cables. Check the fusible links to the alternator. Check the ground between the motor and the frame.

get a 19MM socket and a breaker bar. Try to turn the motor by hand using the front crank damper bolt (clockwise direction only). There will be some resistance through the compression cycle but it should be possible to turn over with moderate effort.

If the motor can be turned over by hand, it is not seized.

If it can not be turned by hand, the the noise you are hearing is the starter motor trying (in vain) to turn the motor over.

If the motor can be turned by hand and the battery is good and the terminals are clean and tight, then look at the starter itself.

Something about this still brothers me. Check the battery cables. Check the fusible links to the alternator. Check the ground between the motor and the frame.

Posted via Mobile Device looks like i have a long day tomórrow...i think i might just got buy án alternator anyway...

Posted via Mobile Device looks like i have a long day tomórrow...i think i might just got buy án alternator anyway...

Don't buy a new alternator until you've verified that you can turn the motor over by hand, checked all the terminals and connections and ground straps, and actually gotten the motor to start and run. Do all the stuff wmburns suggested first - a bad connection somewhere seems like the most likely culprit for your electrical problems.

I wonder about the ticking noise you were hearing when the motor was last running but see if the motor spins freely or not first and hopefully get it running again and then we can tackle that.

You said the battery was under warranty, go and claim that it wont hold a charge and get yourself a new one.

Can the car be jump started? Do accessories work? Are the terminals sparking when the car is trying to be started? Are the terminals tight?

Stick with the simple things first. If your battery is anything less than 12.4 volts, it is weak, hell your battery could be reading 12.8 or more volts and still be shorted inside, this happens to 'new' batteries also. As soon as there is a load put on it the voltage drops off. There must be a battery from another vehicle you can try in your car just for one start to see if that is the problem.

Don't go replacing components when you don't know for sure what is wrong.

Posted via Mobile Device thanks for all the ideas guys...i didnt get a chancé to look at the car todaybecause the first part of the day it was raining/snowing and then i had a work meeting i needed to attend...im going to try and jump start the car and see if that works...im also going to head out in a bit to try and find a breaker bar since i dont have one...ill keep you all posted on what happeñs during the jump..maybe lik suggested, i could pull the battery out of my land rover and try starting my car with that :shrug: