....Car is "skipping, falling on its face"....HELP!

TT91

May 23, 2003
Paramus, NJ
Well Im usually the one providing some sort of technical help here, but this is not the case....here we go.

Quick situation. Im overseas, car is home with dad, started up once or twice a week to be kept fresh, so the replys may be slow because I have to go through my dad to get an answer. Heres whats going on...It was not raced, over revved, or beaten on.

This is the email I got:

"She cuts out, on acceleration, hard or easy, immediate cutouts, like electrical, doesn't seem like fuel, maybe the ecu, or the MSD ignition, not sure, sometimes the cutout is constant, sometimes not, cruising, seems ok. how old is fuel filter anyway?"

It still has all the noticable power, and cruises and idles fine. Under easy or hard acceloration it has a skip, but will still accelerate. "Its dead for a split second"then kicks in..

"Joe" is from Mustang Magic, who tuned and chipped it.

Heres the 2nd email from DaD-

"oK..CLEANED THE FUEL FILTER, found a bit of contamination, but not much.( that cancels that out)
talked to Joe again, he feels after fuel, and module(already replaced the distrib module, cancels that out too), could be the MSD distributor. said to see if we can find a rebuilt or used, Maybe your friend in River Edge(turbo50mike) has one we can try, Joe said they have problems with other than injected cars. He also said MSD distriutors wqill go bad. I'll let you take it from here, find us a rebuilt one, new, or borrow one to try and eliminate the problem. goin on the road for a bit now. Will have my phone with me.
Joe said the "reluctor" in the distributors have a knack for going bad, common problem. maybe order one if you want, but lets think it out. He doubts the MSD Box would be bad. "

Any thought? Thanks for the replies, keep em coming, i can see this being sent to the shop very soon..This is happening ONLY UNDER LOAD!

Its a "chipped"(Mustang Magic) 1991 lx, 331 S-trim (sorry no turbo yet). It does NOT have o2 sensors. A1000 sumped tank with filter before the pump. It has been flawless for the past year, never any problems. Thanks in advance, sorry if I missed anything.

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

In my situation I had a motor that would rev easily to 6500 with no load, but not want to get over 4500 at the track. Problem turned out to be weak valve springs and valve float.

My lunati recomended 160lbs at .5 inches lift, I had 70ls at that level. Changed the springs and I rocked on.

The cam is the B-451 Hi rev custom grind from AFM, I have the AFM Springs in there and havnt had a problem for over a 1.5 now. The car is never beaten on, consider it a show car, my dad just starts it up and drives it like a family van..so im rulling out valve train. Im guessing on electrical. As we speak, a buddy of mine from Turbomustangs.com is headed over the house to see if he can figure it out. Its real quick my dad says, it will rev all the way, but it hesitates before kicking in...