Car Makes Noise When Turning Key. Starts Fine

Discussion in '2005 - 2014 Specific V6 Tech' started by bluestang81, May 19, 2012.

1. bluestang81

bluestang81 New Member

Hey everyone, I have a 2010 v6 mustang and whenever I turn my ignition to where all the electronics come on (idk what this is called) my car makes this wierd knocking clicking sound that lasts for about 20 seconds, and if i turn the car on quickly it will make this noise while the car is on aswell. It has been making this noise for two or three days and I have no idea what it is all help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. haitwun

haitwun New Member

Something wrong with the alternator? You should probably have it checked by a professional.

3. Noobz347

Noobz347 Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor Admin Dude

Showcase:
    Albums:
    ... and the noise is coming from.... where? The front of the car? The rear of the car? Under the dash?

Hell, when I turn my car to the accessory position, I get ALL KINDS of strange noises. I can account for each though.

We need some specifics.

4. Ltngdrvr

Ltngdrvr Member

Sounds to me like it is the fuel pump doing it's thing but may be about to go belly up.

5. Noobz347

Noobz347 Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor Admin Dude

Showcase:
    Albums:
    The fuel pump will prime when you turn the key to the ON position. It will be louder as your fuel level gets lower.

6. mholla00

mholla00 New Member

I have an 08 and the car did this when I went to test drive it at the dealership. I told them I would only buy the car if they figured out what the noise was. Turns out it was about a $250 fix. Something to do with defrost door behind the dash..Good news for someone who can't spend the money is it is not going to affect you going down the road! I just got lucky and it did it the second time I went to test drive it. Glad I didn't buy it the first day lol.

7. Ray Tinsley

Ray Tinsley New Member

Yeah that's what i'm thinking it is, mine does the same thing. I kinda just got used to it, i'll eventually fix it though.

8. Louer Adun

Louer Adun New Member

Just bought a new (to me) 07 Mustang with 120k miles. It is doing exactly the same thing. Unfortunately it was a private party sale and it didn't happen on my test drive. The Ford dealer says its some sort of actuator with the A/C system which sounds right (sometimes I can reproduce the sound by turning the A/C on/off a couple times). Anyone know where we can source the part and/or maybe get a write up?