Car misfires....please help

96floridacar

Jun 26, 2005
I have a 96 GT Convt and I just got the intake changed because it cracked. Ever since I got that changed, the car is running real ruff and doesn't have any power. The check engine light flashes on and off constantly. Its my only car so I've been able to drive it to work but it is very hard to do cause it idles very ruff. The guys at AutoZone used their computer and it came back misfire on plug 7. What could be the cause of this? It used to run great. It has 127,000 miles on it.
Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

It was a shade tree mechanic who did the work and he is telling me I need to install a new head gasket. I don't think thats the problem because it did this about a year ago and a reputable shop just changed the pcv valve and it fixed the problem. I tried it myself and it still runs poorly. I hate to take it to a shop and be at their mercy.

Just check and change the plug first. The plug wire could have also worked it's way loose. If you haven't changed the plugs or wires lately, now's the time.

The check engine light will come on for a mis-fire.

I doubt it's a head gasket. You'd be seeing smoke from the exhaust, and maybe oil in the coolant.

sbelyo said:
Just check and change the plug first. The plug wire could have also worked it's way loose. If you haven't changed the plugs or wires lately, now's the time.

The check engine light will come on for a mis-fire.

I doubt it's a head gasket. You'd be seeing smoke from the exhaust, and maybe oil in the coolant.

I agree

When my intake finally cracked, the coolant ended up getting into the plug holes which caused a wire to screw up.

The wire was sparking off behind getting to the plug and I noticed this at night. I replaced the wires/plugs and it fixed my problem.