Car missing/Back firing through throttle body at low rpm

One of the O2 sensors checked out to be bad and I replaced it. However I don't know that this fixed the issue. I have had two people tell me that they had the same issue and it ended up being a bad computer. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I haven't had a chance to drive yet since my brake line at the left rear tire broke in half today somehow. Will fix that tomorrow and go Drive it

• Sponsors (?)

Don't do the resistor trick with the EGR, just disconnect the EGR wiring or the vacuum.
When the computer thinks the EGR is working, it advances the ignition timing and leans the fuel mixture. The combination of the two change could cause problems for the engine.

Removing the pollution control equipment from a 5.0 Mustang is a bad idea. All you have accomplished is to make the computer mad and spit codes. The pollution control equipment all shuts off at wide open throttle, so the HP losses from it on the car are 2-5 HP. The catalytic converters may soak a few more HP than that. None of the pollution control equipment reduces the HP enough to cost you a race in anything but professional drag strip competition. I seriously doubt that you will be in the final runoff on “Pinks”, so leave the smog equipment in place and make sure it is working correctly.

Know what does what before removing it. Remove or disable the wrong thing and the computer sets the check engine light and runs in "limp mode". Limp mode means reduced power and fuel economy.

If you removed the smog pump and still have catalytic converters, they will ultimately clog and fail.

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by James Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $20-$45 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select books and then select search. Use the ISBN number (without dashes or spaces) to do a search

Use the ISBN number and your local library can get you a loaner copy for free. Only thing is you are limited to keeping the book for two weeks. It is very good, and I found it to be very helpful.

Remove any of the equipment and you will not pass a full smog check, cannot title the car in an area that does smog checks and have broken several federal laws. Granted that the Feds are short on people to check cars, but it is still Federal law.