Car Not Starting, Plz Help

MyCARneedsHelp

Founding Member
Apr 24, 2002
Plainfield,IL
Hey guys im at the last of my 5.0 swap and i have 2 problems. 1) The fuel pump doesnt turn on in the key on. I checked all connections to the pump and they are good. The most inportant this is the car doesnt crank. I checked all the plugs, and grounds and everything is connected except the 02 sensors. The battery cables are tight as can be and the starter and solenoid were both tested and they are good. ... I dont know what the heck is going on . Also i tryed to jump the solenoid with a screw driver and it didnt even spark so im guessing this is a wiring issue. Im very thankful for any comments you guys give me, Thanx:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Here's a checklist:

Since some of the tests will bypass the safety interlocks, make sure that the car is in neutral and the parking brake is set. Becoming a pancake isn’t part of the repair process…

Check battery, terminal connections, ground, starter relay switch (also known as solenoid) and starter in that order.

A voltmeter is handy if you are familiar with how to use it to find bad connections. Measure the voltage drop across a connection: more than .5 volts across a connection indicates a problem. Do the measurements while you are trying to crank the engine.

See http://www.fluke.com/application_notes/automotive/circuit.asp?AGID=1&SID=103 for help
fig-7.gif

1.) Will the car start if it is jumped? Then clean battery terminals and check battery.

2.) Check the battery to engine block ground, and the ground behind the engine to the firewall.

3.) Then pull the small push on connector (red wire) off the starter relay (Looks like it is stuck on a screw). Then jump between the screw and the terminal that is connected to the battery. If it starts, the relay is good and your problem is in the rest of the circuit.

4.) Remember to check the ignition switch, neutral safety switch on auto trans and the clutch safety switch on manual trans cars. If they are good, then the relay is bad. See http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195963.gif for 88-90 year cars .OR see http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/gif/large/0900823d80195964.gif for 91-93 year cars. See http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1d/db/3c/0900823d801ddb3c.jsp for 94-95 model cars.

5.) Jump the big terminals on the starter relay next to the battery with a screwdriver - watch out for the sparks! If the engine cranks, the starter and power wiring is good. The starter relay is also known as a starter solenoid.

6.) The starter may be hung, loosen up the bolts that hold it on, and give it a good whack with a big hammer. Tighten up the bolts and try again.

7.) If that doesn't work, use a jumper cable from the positive lead on the battery direct to the starter post where the big wire from the relay connects. If it cranks then, it is the power wire from the relay gone bad. This will be hard to do, since there isn't much room to do it.

8.) Pull the starter and take it to Autozone or Pep Boys and have them test it. Starter fails test, then replace it. If you got this far, the starter is probably bad.

Fix the no crank problem first, then deal with any other problems after that.

Troubleshoot one problem at a time and you will find and fix things faster than you will chasing many things at once.

If you still have a no start condition after getting the engine to crank good, repost and I will try to help with any cranks OK but no start problems.

ok thanx, well i went through the list and this is what i found.... Everything is connected right and i checked the clutch saftey and its all good. The only way the car would crack is #5 with the screwdriver. I tested the starter also and its good.... Also i noticed that when i turn the key to the on position and the off, the fuel pump relay on the pass. side is clicking ?? i replaced it and still clicks.

MyCARneedsHelp said:
ok thanx, well i went through the list and this is what i found.... Everything is connected right and i checked the clutch saftey and its all good. The only way the car would crack is #5 with the screwdriver. I tested the starter also and its good.... Also i noticed that when i turn the key to the on position and the off, the fuel pump relay on the pass. side is clicking ?? i replaced it and still clicks.
No crank unless you jump the solenoid (starter relay) with a screwdriver means a bad solenoid.

Don't worry about the fuel pump until you get the engine to crank by turning the key.

I'm having same problems but mine cranks but no fuel pump priming. Not to jack ur post but I'm tried a test light to the module connection on the dizzy and I get nothing when to key is in the on position. So i'm gonna try another wiring harness to see whats going on. Also check the inercia (spelled wrong) switch in the trunk.

you put a auto in a manual car? if so then just push the clutch in lol friend of ours put a big block in a 5 spd GT and forgot completely about the clutch safety thing.. we got there and said "push the clutch in" and boom it fired off :D you check the inertia right?

MyCARneedsHelp said:
ok i replaced the solenoid and still no crank at the key.... I pressed the clutch in as far as it will go and yes the saftey switch is connected... lol!
Check step #3 again - pull the small push on connector (red wire) off the starter relay (Looks like it is stuck on a screw). Then jump between the screw and the terminal that is connected to the battery. The starter will crank if the solenoid and starter are good. No crank and you still have a solenoid problem since jumping the two big studs with a screwdriver makes the starter crank.

0900823d80167163.gif

See http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/16/71/3c/0900823d8016713c.jsp for wiring diagrams.

If it does not crank, how do you know it has no spark?

I think something is being lost in misused terminology. If you can, be more specific about exactly what is happening (if it is easier, say the car goes "whir whir whir when I try to start it" rather than take a chance using the wrong term).

In your above-post, you said it cranks and does not crank. Care to elaborate?

IT DOES CRANK when i use the screwdriver method. It DOESNT crank when i try with my key. I used the screwdriver method to see if i was getting spark and im not getting any. All my relays and clicking like crazy when i turn the key to the on and off position. the fuel pump is fixed. The Starter is good, the solenoid is brang new today <shurgs>

MyCARneedsHelp said:
IT DOES CRANK when i use the screwdriver method. It DOESNT crank when i try with my key. I used the screwdriver method to see if i was getting spark and im not getting any. All my relays and clicking like crazy when i turn the key to the on and off position. the fuel pump is fixed. The Starter is good, the solenoid is brang new today <shurgs>
The screwdriver method across the starter solenoid will only provide power to the starter. It does not provide power to the computer, fuel pump or ignition.

You need to have the key turned to the Run position in order to get power for the computer, fuel pump and ignition to operate.

Ok Jrichker here is the news. I got the car cranking . The clutch saftey wasnt in all the way. So now its cranking at the key and the fuel pump is turning on. Still no start though. I replaced the Ignition Coil, Fuel Relay, And solenoid now. LoL . Its getting spark i tested it with a jumper, and its getting fuel i can smell it. Although im getting the 3 inportant things, Air,Fuel,Spark its still not starting. I even rechecked the timing. Also put a new distributor cap, and rotor on .... Still nothing. She wants to start bad i can feel it. The battery and cables are also new.... what else could be causing this thing not to start?

Cranks OK, but No Start Checklist for Fuel Injected Mustangs

1.) Remove push on connector from starter solenoid and turn ignition switch on. Place car in neutral or Park. Remove coil wire from distributor & and hold 3/8” away from engine block. Jumper the screw to the big bolt on the starter solenoid that has the battery wire connected to it. You should get a nice fat blue spark.
Most of the items are electrical in nature, so a test light, or even better, a voltmeter, is helpful to be sure they have power to them.
No spark, possible failed items in order of their probability:
A.) MSD or Crane ignition box if so equipped
B.) Coil
C.) TFI module
D.) PIP sensor in distributor
E.) ECC relay next to computer - look for 12 volts at the fuel injector red wires
F.) Fuse links in wiring harness - look for 12 volts at the fuel injector red wires. All the fuse links live in a bundle up near the starter solenoid.
G.) Ignition switch - look for 12 volts at the ignition coil red/lt green wire.
H.) Computer

See the following links for wiring diagrams...

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/16/71/3c/0900823d8016713c.jsp for 79-88 model cars

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/19/59/5a/0900823d8019595a.jsp for 89-93 model cars

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1d/db/3c/0900823d801ddb3c.jsp for 94-98 model cars

2.) Spark at coil wire, pull #1 plug wire off at the spark plug and check to see spark. No spark, possible failed items in order of their probability:
A.) Moisture inside distributor – remove cap, dry off & spray with WD40
B.) Distributor cap
C.) Rotor
D.) Spark Plug wires
E.) Coil weak or intermittent - you should see 3/8" fat blue spark with a good coil

3.) Spark at spark plug, but no start.
Next, get a can of starting fluid (ether) from your local auto parts store: costs a $1.30 or so. Then pull the air duct off at the throttle body elbow, open the throttle, and spray the ether in it. Reconnect the air duct and try to start the car. Do not try to start the car without reconnecting the air duct.
Two reasons:
1.) If it backfires, the chance for a serious fire is increased.
2.) On Mass Air cars, the computer needs to measure the MAF flow once the engine starts.
If it starts then, you have a fuel management issue. Continue the checklist with emphasis of fuel related items that follow. If it doesn’t, then it is a computer or timing issue: see Step 4.

Clue – listen for the fuel pump to prime when you first turn the ignition switch on. It should run for 5-20 seconds and shut off. To trick the fuel pump into running, find the ECC test connector and jump the connector in the lower RH corner to ground. See http://www.mustangworks.com/article...c-iv_codes.html for a description of the test connector. If the relay & inertia switch are OK, you will have power to the pump. Check fuel pressure – remove the cap from the schrader valve behind the alternator and depress the core. Fuel should squirt out, catch it in a rag. Beware of fire hazard when you do this. In pinch you can use a tire pressure gauge to measure the fuel pressure. It may not be completely accurate, but you will have some clue as to how much pressure you have.

No fuel pressure, possible failed items in order of their probability:
A.) Tripped inertia switch – Coupe & hatch cars hide it under the plastic trim covering the driver's side taillight. Use the voltmeter or test light to make sure you have power to both sides of the switch
B.) Fuel pump power relay – located under the driver’s seat in most stangs built before 92. On 92 and later model cars it is located below the Mass Air Flow meter. Look for 12 volts at the Pink/Black wire on the fuel pump relay.
C.) Clogged fuel filter
D.) Failed fuel pump
E.) Blown fuse link in wiring harness. Look for 12 volts at the Orange/Lt Blue wire on the fuel pump relay. The fuse links live in the wiring harness near the starter solenoid.
F.) Fuel pressure regulator failed. Remove vacuum line from regulator and inspect for fuel escaping while pump is running.

Fuel pressure OK, the injectors are not firing.

A.) A Noid light available from Autozone, is one way to test the injector wiring.
B.) I like to use an old injector with compressed air applied to the injector where the fuel rail would normally connect. I hook the whole thing up, apply compressed air to the injector and stick it in a paper cup of soapy water. When the engine cranks with the ignition switch on, if the injector fires, it makes bubbles. Cheap if you have the stuff laying around, and works good too.

a.) Pull an injector wire connector off and look for 12 volts on the red wire when the ignition switch is on.
b.) No power, then look for problems with the 10 pin connecter (salt & pepper shakers at the rear of the upper manifold).
c.) No power and the 10 pin connections are good: look for broken wiring between the orange/black wire on the ECC relay and the red wire for the 10 pin connectors.

4.) Spark & fuel pressure OK.

A.) Failed IAB (no airflow to start engine). Press the throttle ¼ way down and try to start the car.
B.) Failed computer (not very likely)
C.) Engine ignition or cam timing off: only likely if the engine has been worked on recently).
D.) Firing order off: HO & 351 use a different firing order from the non HO engines.
HO & 351W 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
Non HO 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
E.) No start when hot - Press the throttle to the floor & try starting it if you get this far. If it starts, replace the ECT.