Car of the year?

mustang sallad

Feb 12, 2004
I'm just curious as to whether anybody thinks the new stang is gonna have a shot at the new car of the year awards of various magazines. I've always followed motor trend's articles.
What's it gonna be competing against? I guess the new 'vette is one of the more direct competitors... but what about cars in completely different classes, like sedans and so forth? What's looking like it might do good?

• Sponsors (?)

The Vette isn't that big of a deal, it's more evolutionary from the C5 than an all-new car from a blank sheet of paper. The Mustang is all-new, and tremendously significant. It's like a "rebirth" of the original style, an American icon, and I think it's going to cause a buzz among the public in-general, not just car people. The 300 is also all-new, and one heck of a nice and revolutionary car. However, I don't see it as being the huge splash the Mustang will be. Unless the Mustang doesn't meet critic's expectations, I think it's a shoe-in.

RICKS said:
The Mustang is all-new, and tremendously significant. It's like a "rebirth" of the original style, an American icon, and I think it's going to cause a buzz among the public in-general, not just car people. .

It already has been making a buzz among the public. Many not-car people know about the new mustang are exited about it

SVTdriver said:
Is that motortrend. Cause car and driver is "If it anit BMW, it ain't cr**p!

I've got a motor trend subscription... Personally, i think they want to like ford, and they're just excited for them to build cars that they can praise without seeming biased. Cause man, in recent history, american cars haven't been all that impressive when you think about it. I think that's changing now though, the big three are getting their acts together.

kylebrady said:
The 2005 Ford Mustang will be the car of the year. None of the cars mentioned here are mass produced like the Mustang. This car means a lot to generations of car drivers. Everybody has wanted a Mustang at some point in their lives.
kb

yeah, motor trend looks a lot at how much of an impact the car has on the industry, like the prius. The mustang will definitely have a lot of impact as well.

I actually had a letter published in Motor Trend right after the 2005 concept coupe and convertible came out in January 2003. It is in the MT May 2003 issue. If any of you have that issue, you can see it in there under my real name. (Ethan) I told them way back then that the 2005 Mustang had to be their 2005 Car of the Year. The MT award is supposed to go to the car that represents the biggest, best advance in its class. Well, if updating a car from the 1970's Fairmont platform to a modern platform doesn't qualify it, I don't know what will. None of the competition for the '05 Car of the Year has had to make due with an outdated platform for so long. Anyway, since Motor Trend published my letter, at least someone there agrees with me, I hope.

As much as I'd like to see the Mustang win Car of the Year (and I think it'll be a real contender), I think MT will pick the Chrysler 300C. Everything I've read about this in all the majors has been very complimentary and they've even called it the car that will save DC. That sounds like COTY material to me.

Of course all of us here are biased toward the Mustang, and the 2005 is going to be one great car--I think the best Mustang ever--but the 300C is a brand new design with bold styling. The Mustang is new as well, and it's not just a freshening of an old platform, but I think the retro styling (which I absolutely love) will make those guys give the nod to Chrysler.

I hope I'm wrong.

what about the Mazda3? i'm pretty sure that wasn't in the running last year, although i could be wrong. That's a pretty sweet car, to me its by far the best in its segment. Motor Trend had it running the slalom at 68.1 mph, faster than a murcielago. its got some pretty sweet styling too, interior included. The gauges are pretty sweet at night.

I've subscribed to C&D and MT for over 20 years each. I see absolutely no "bias" towards German or Japanese cars at all. Just honest reporting. The only "bias" I notice is the BLIND devotion of certain readers to American cars, no matter how sloppily/cheaply engineered, stupidly designed, and poorly executed they are. Likewise, you see letters from equally blinded Asian car freaks that refuse to accept when an American car manufacturer steps up to the plate and knocks one out of the park. My frustration in this regard also applies to Mustang fanatics, so caught up in a nameplate and a symbol and an image, that they "hate" other cars without even taking a look or a drive in them. It's silly, schoolkid-ish, NASCAR mentality. The fact that the Europeans and Asians continually set the bar so high in quality and engineering does nothing but GOOD for us American car diehards! It forces Ford and GM to get their shat together and build better cars. Look at how far Ford has come from the "nasty" cars (from a build quality and engineering standpoint) they were building in the early 80's to now! The competition keeps everybody on their toes, striving to build us better cars. It's AMAZING how great the cars of today are from a driving, performance, fit/finish standpoint compared to just 10 years ago. I think the car magazines call them as they see them. Even when a Bimmer or a Lexus wins a comparo contest, I still keep my money in the U.S.. But I'm thankful that those fine cars inspire the U.S. automakers I buy from to try harder. If it weren't for BMW, Ford would have never done as fantastically as they did with my Lincoln LS. Even still, it's not as good as a 5-series. I'm not so blinded and biased as to not be able to easily draw that conclusion. But...it was ALOT cheaper, and still a fine ride in its own right. And I hope Ford does BETTER than BMW on their next swing at the LS. As the magazines constantly say to bitter letter writers, there's ALOT more to a car than numbers on a road-test stat sheet. And the suggestion that they slant their findings according to ad revenue or under-the-table payola is urban myth, it's just not true.