car pops loudly PLEASE HELP!

i finally started my mustang up and it pops loudly like a backfire. and it does it all through the rpm range it will run for like 10 seconds then backfire and keep running. what could this be?? and it does it when i reve the engine too. i replaced my balancer b/c my old one spun off. when it spun off could it have gotten my timing off? please help me

• Sponsors (?)

whitemustang89 said:
i finally started my mustang up and it pops loudly like a backfire. and it does it all through the rpm range it will run for like 10 seconds then backfire and keep running. what could this be?? and it does it when i reve the engine too. i replaced my balancer b/c my old one spun off. when it spun off could it have gotten my timing off? please help me

Definitely a good idea to reshoot the timing, sound like she's running really rich. Pull your plugs out and check them too(gap and electrode). If they look good, reinstall and make sure the cap on your distibutor is secure.

I'm betting your MAF is dirty. Pull the MAF and use carb cleaner on a Q-tip to clean the two little wires hanging down from the inside top of the MAF. These get dirty (particularly if you have a CAI oil impregnated) and clog the sensors. That throws your air/fuel mixture off and will cause backfiring and dismal performance. You'll be surprised at the 30 hp you pick up! :banana: