car pulls to the left when I hit the gas- mainly on highway

68 & 00 GT

May 14, 2003
HOUSTON TEXAS
I'm stumped on this one. Some one please help me. Some may have noticed several of my recent post about alingment, shocks, and struts, and / or springs.

Anyway here's the deal. When i'm on the highway it's most noticeable. At first I thought it was all the recent wind, then wasn't sure if the front end was just raising up when I hit the gas, but it's definately pulling my car to the left when I step on it. Mainly when I'm in fourth and roll into the gas at 60-70mph. I just got my car alinged yesterday and it's "with in factory specs now" . It did help some, but, the alingment guy said he could be more exact if I had CC plates. I have an Eibach pro kit, on factory springs. I'm at 94K miles. So what's the deal here ? My car still wanders on the road a little too. I put in MM rear LCA's a long time ago. They say my shocks and struts need replacing just b/c of my mileage. Could that make it pull like that ?
Any suggestions ? My car rides like garbage -:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

68 & 00 GT:

Check the upper and lower control arms (rear) as you may be getting some slop leading to "rear steering". In particular, look at the rubber bushings on the UCAs. They may be tired if you have been launching hard. Also, the MM Tech Line can also provide good info -- you have their LCAs so they should treat you right.

Check your tire pressure, too.

Last thing I can think of is to rotate your tires to see if one of the tires is causing the unwanted steering.

Hope this helps.

hmmm.

good info - just thought about this. I have two different type tires on the rear. Both 275 / 40 17 Goodyears, but different types. One is like the stock GT Goodyear, and the other more like a Cobra Stock Goodyear. Maybe that's it.
Here's pics of the tires (the bottom two) - But that not my only problem. My car still feels like crap, and my steering wheel sits crooked now after the alingment - how do Ifix that. Pull the steering shaft (as I did on my LT install), and adjust it there, or can it only be put back together one way in that fitting ?
attachment.php

My Pro Kit is only supposed to be a 1.5 drop. Would CC plates help ? :shrug:
At my mileage w/ stock shocks, and struts used on the Pro Kit worn out like they say?

I'm (unfortunately) suspending myself from any other mods until I fix this - :bang:

68 & 00 GT:

The alignment shop can straighten out the steering wheel (tie rod adjustments). I would not mess with the steering shaft linkage (just because it is not the "official" method of straightening out the steering wheel).

As for the different tires, are the two front tires worn down the same? I am thinking that the circumference is different between the two (one is slightly taller than the other). This could be a contributing factor. If you can borrow a friend's two front wheels/tires for a test drive, this will confirm whether the tires are the problem.

Original shocks and struts usually only last 30 to 60,000 miles, depending on local road conditions. The soft joint holding the struts in place could be worn out, too, but the alignment shop should have commented about it.

I put in CC plates with only a 1.4 to 1.6" drop -- relatively cheap insurance against premature wear and, more importantly, the adjustability to make the car handle better.

Keep us up to date on what you find, please.

Chris

All four of those tires are to be used on the rear. I have Kuhmo Estcas on the front w/ about 60% tread left. Only the bottom two are on the rear. That why I wondered if having two different tires on the rear was causing my problems even though they are the same size, and make. I'm almost to the point to just save some $$, and throw it in on sub frames, shocks, and struts, tower support brace, upgraded sway bars etc..... - My ride quility is not good. I'm frustrated, but unfortunately don't have a bunch of cash to just start buying parts -