car slower with 4.10's & nitto's

Badd GT

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Kansas City
i have a couple buddies one has a 01 cobra & other has lightning i have been consistantly beating them by @ least 2 cars to about 115mph.
a few days ago i got nitto's, torque boxes reinforced, lca's & 4.10's now they both beat me by 1/2 to a full car length to the end of my 4th gear.

?????????????????????
any ideas? they are exactly as i ran them before. in fact i raced my first mach tonight & lost by 2 cars. with my 3.27's i would have beat him by at least a car. he has X-pipe & air filter.

• Sponsors (?)

You must be spinning or something, like jon said. Those gears should make it quicker, unless your getting to high speeds. Just don't make sense to me. But what do I know?

i swear i would be barely pulling on them @ 100mph and now i am in 4th gear and the cobra is pulling on me.

just trust me about pulling the cobra cause i am willing to trade my 4.10's to somebody for 3.27's for free. i am not spinning trust me.
i offered to give the cobra my 4.10's for his 3.27's he said "no way you used to pull on me......now i pull on you....i would not take them for free."

Thats weird. Before I had my gears me and my friend raced (he has a 03 mach) we were even until about half way through 2nd gear, then when I got my gears I had him untill about half way through 3rd. Almost had him in the quarter. He ended up beating me by bout half a car.

that is wierd, you kind of have to relearn how to drive your car when you get gears, it took me a bit to adjust to my 3:73's. when I just had 3:73's I pulled stock mustangs by about 1.5 cars. relearn your car, ESPECIALLY since you have Nitto's, you should be SMOKING him off the line. I guess the only way you can tell is track times. either way not sure how you beat a lightning and cobra before anyway

Badd GT said:
i swear i would be barely pulling on them @ 100mph and now i am in 4th gear and the cobra is pulling on me.

just trust me about pulling the cobra cause i am willing to trade my 4.10's to somebody for 3.27's for free. i am not spinning trust me.
i offered to give the cobra my 4.10's for his 3.27's he said "no way you used to pull on me......now i pull on you....i would not take them for free."

If your serious, let make the trade. I have a set of 3.27 gears out of my 2002 gt with that has only 4,000 miles on it if you are interested. Let me know cause i'll take your 4.10s for my 3.27 if you'll do a free trade. My 3.27 are ready to ship as well.

I never understood why GT guys get 4.10s. The rpms just aren't enough for that low of gear. If I had a GT I'd get no less than 3.73s. Another thing is if you can't shift FAST, then you will be slower. You have to shift sooner in 4.10s.

Badd GT said:
i have a couple buddies one has a 01 cobra & other has lightning i have been consistantly beating them by @ least 2 cars to about 115mph.
a few days ago i got nitto's, torque boxes reinforced, lca's & 4.10's now they both beat me by 1/2 to a full car length to the end of my 4th gear.

?????????????????????
any ideas? they are exactly as i ran them before. in fact i raced my first mach tonight & lost by 2 cars. with my 3.27's i would have beat him by at least a car. he has X-pipe & air filter.

1. The Cobra driver sucks if you could put 2 cars on him with 3.27's.

2. I don't know a whole lot about Lightnings......so a GT with 2-3 bolt ons winning....:shrug:

3. You need to learn to shift faster. You also have another shift to do before 115mph now.

4. No, you're not going to beat a Mach 1 (unless that Cobra's driver is behind the wheel, then you beat it with a scooter). With 3.27's you wouldn't have a snowflake's chance in hell against a Mach 1. Put the crack pipe down. :rlaugh:

Monkie said:
I never understood why GT guys get 4.10s. The rpms just aren't enough for that low of gear. If I had a GT I'd get no less than 3.73s. Another thing is if you can't shift FAST, then you will be slower. You have to shift sooner in 4.10s.

WTF are you talking about Mooks? 4.10's on a N/A GT puts your revs in the high 5000's as you cross the line in 4th gear. If you're really hardcore about drag racing, then go 4.30's.

Monkie said:

4.10s were probly the best mod i have done so far, i would go no less than 4.10s, i hold up w/ my boys 01 cobra till 4th gear, hes not a bad drive so none of that is needed to be said. he does have some wheel hop that helps me out. but still 4.10s are great

I have always thought 4.10's would be better just gas mileage would suffer compared to lower gears. I cannot see how this would make the car slower. There has to be other factors causing the probs. It just don't add up to me. I would choose 4.10's or even 4.30's not careing about mileage.

Pulling a lighting is possible DEPENDING on the driver of both cars. My friend and I took out his dads Lightning and my GT with my few mods and had him :owned: No lie... this was out of a light with considerable wheel spin from both of us, So that could have been his problem. But as far as the cobra goes :shrug: i'm on the fence with that one... But if you say it happened then I'll respect that!

did u get a chip flashed after gear install? im surprised no one mentioned this, in my opinion if you say you are not spinning other than shifting faster you need a chip to reset your computers parameters also your computer will take a lil while to get used to the added gear which may be another possibilty, just my 2 cents.

~silver~

let's just forget car names (since some of you always got to jab about how a GT cant beat this or that)

i used to beat car A from a roll or dig by a car length to 120mph & pulling very slightly.
now he is 1 to 1 1/2 car lengths ahead by end of 4th gear.

i used to beat car B from a roll or dig by 2 car lengths to 120mph & pulling slightly.
now he is 1 car ahead of me by end of 4th gear (110mph).

if i put nitto's alone on i should have added 1 car length to the before results not lose 2-3 car lengths............that is a 3-4 car length loss.
this is also adding LCA's & reinforced torque boxes.

i am going to race car A repetedly this afternoon shifting @ different points but if i am still even or losing i will be swapping back to 3.27's.
my 3.27's got messed up since they were seized up but i will be looking to trade someone for sure.

could it be the gear oil?..... i used 2 qts 75w90 synthetic & 1 bottle friction mod. or maybe since i have not speedo corrected?

i just think it is putting me over my hp range. if i take it to 6000 rpms & shift it cuts me back to 4800rpms.......well
past were i need to be.

Either the other drivers got better or you got worse.

Obviously, if shifting at 6000RPMs puts you too far past your powerband in the next gear, guess what? Shift before 6000RPMs. Stock/bolt-on GT's don't make power up there anyway. Shift it at 5500.

Don't get all paranoid and switch back to 3.27's, that would be one of the most retarded decisions ever. Equal cars and drivers, the 4.10's WILL own the 3.27's, you just need more practice with them.

silverstangman - Computer needing to get used to more gear? WTF??? :confused:

"or maybe since i have not had my speedo corrected"
You really think that is going to cause performance problems? That is just silly, why would that effect anything but accuracy of the speedo. Not being a smartass but think about that for at least 2 seconds, it just cannot be that.

85GTlover said:
"or maybe since i have not had my speedo corrected"
You really think that is going to cause performance problems? That is just silly, why would that effect anything but accuracy of the speedo. Not being a smartass but think about that for at least 2 seconds, it just cannot be that.

i honestly dont know man........i am just grasping @ straws. i did not think that putting nitto's, gears & LCA's would set me back 3 car lengths to the tune of almost $1000.

don't get offended, But i bet you're driving got worse because 4.10's take some getting used to, and I bet they got better at driving.....

because I GUARANTEE you that if you gave me a stock 01 cobra, you would not beat me with your mods, i think they just got better at driving their cars. I'd say go to the track, get some times and go from there, good luck.