Car smells like a yamaha two-stroke

The exhaust of my car stinks, bad. It kinda smells like gas...the best description of the smell is that the car exhuast smells just like the exhaust of my leaf blower. As far as I know, everything is in ship shape, but could there be a spark problem? mabye carb? Not too long ago I had it dynoed and tuned a little, the guy said the carb was adjusted ok, but then again, all the exhuast was going out tubes, and the exhuast probe hooked to the computer can't tell you how it smells. So, where do I start?

• Sponsors (?)

They will really only pay attention at a dyno to WOT. And since you are smelling it I guess you mean at idle right ? Could try leaning it out a bit. But stink does not really mean it's running bad. Pump gas stinks....

69Rcode_Mach1 said:
If not it could be rich, get a vacuum gauge hooked up and tune the idle for max vac.

Good advice. I had a truck that had a vacuum leak at the intake manifold gasket that drove me nuts for a long time. The exhaust smelled like raw gas, made my eyes tear. Leaning the carb didn't do any good. Funny though, I thought because of the raw gas smell, I thought it was running rich! Good luck.

Ok, so I should try turning the idle mixture screws inward, to lean the mixture at idle? I've already adjusted for max vacuum a while back, also, exhuast is colorless. The only thing I notice out the tail pipes is black water dripping out when i first crank it after a while.

You can also pull a few spark plugs to see how your mixture is and if there is any oil on them. There is a chance that nothing is wrong engine-wise and you just need to seal the car up: weatherstripping worn or missing, exhaust leaks will foul the cabin, exhaust not run fully out the back, gas leaks anywhere in the lines,etc...

Originally, that was the issue...exhuast was stinking up the cabin. After weatherstripping, sealer underneath and patching a few holes, the interior is pretty air tight, The only thing left to do is extend the exhuast which is currently cut right after the axle. Should I do straight tips or turndowns? I'll check for oil on the plugs, anything else I could adjust besides the idle mixture screws? Any suggestions on spark plugs, I may just replace them anyway...what kind should i get? (Currently, I have 10+year old motorcraft plugs that were saved from my grandad's parts store before he closed in '94)

I would run straight pipes out; turndowns allow fumes into the trunk which is as bad as the cabin. There is a vent hole for the rear end in the trunk and with your exhaust ending as it is now, I'm sure fumes are coming in there(most rear end vent hoses are rotten and not even there to fill the hole).