Car stalling in Drive and reverse???

Hello Fellas, I'm almost out of hair from pulling so much of it out. I have a 66 coupe 289 A/T. Here's my dilema...a couple of days ago driving home from work and driving off the freeway, my car starting sputtering and eventually stalled out. I did start the car back up and drove until the next stop light and whamo, same thing stalled out when hit the gas. Did that about 5 times until I got home. In park, car sounds good and same thing when in Neutral. As soon as I put it in Drive or Rev. gets rough and stalls. Only when at temperature. When cold drives fine. ???

Here's what I have done: Checked timing, spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, carb settings all normal. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

car stalling...

Hi

I think you should check your ATF oil level...
If your A/T doesnt have enough oil it won't shift...
when it's cold, your oil is more thick and there is no pressure on it...
When it gets warm, it will get thinner and pumped around.
If there is just a little to less oil in it., this is the result sometimes...

Try It.

Greetz

Emil

I'd be more inclined to think you have developed a vacuum leak somewhere. Vacuum leaks as well as plugged idle circuits in the carb may still allow the car to idle when in a no-load situation, but as soon as a load (like when you put the shifter in drive) is applied, there's not a good enough idle to keep the motor running. Or you could try cleaning the MAF as suggested...if your car had one.:D:shrug:

Thanks guys! It wasn't a vacuum leak and the carb was perfect. It was a bad ignition coil. Replaced it a few days ago and the car is running great. I put the old one back just to test it and after it got hot the car started acting up again. Thanks for the suggestions.