Car stalls when stopping w/AC on???

HoofnIt

Founding Member
Jan 8, 2001
North Carolina
I just did a PIH swap and the car runs great! The ping is finally gone but now I have a new problem. Whenever the AC is on and I am coming to a stop the car will stall. If I turn the AC off and come to a stop then the car will idle fine. Do you think turning up the idle a little bit will cure this or is there something else going on? The car is idling around 700rpms without the AC on. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Do you have the VSS and computer interface working properly? (so that you have a raised rolling idle - like when coming to a stop while in neutral).

How is the cold idle (I know that is relative - we have 100* temps right now). But even so, I get a cold idle a couple hundred RPM higher than warm idle.

If you dont have any idle compensation, I would clean the tar out of the IAC.

You can certainly try turning the idle up and resetting/checking the TPS.

Good luck and glad to hear you like the conversion. :nice:

I'm not sure of the VSS, vehicle speed sensor, but the PIH kit is the same as running a Fox computer. I did not have to switch any pins as this kit includes the harness, plug and play. I did not have this trouble with the 95 computer. I'm not sure what tells the computer to turn the idle up when the AC is on? The IAC is new, has less than 3000 miles on it.

Nice work. I would give it a little bit to see if it adapts itself back-down (or tries).........
Good luck.

Well, I'm sad to report that after driving the car for a few days it is doing it again!!!! This really pi$$e$ me off. I finally get the darn ping to go away and now whenever I come to a stop I have to turn the AC off or it stalls. Can anyone tell me what's causing this? It didn't happen pre PIH. It's driving me crazy!

Have you tryed doing the full idle re-set?

Sounds like the IAC isn't compensating under load...I have the Fox conversion and mine did the same damn thing til I did the full idle re-set...