car stalls when turning?

blk87notch

Apr 25, 2005
WoodStock,GA
ok guys my 87 notchback has a problem of stalling when making a turn, like pulling into a parking spot its only when making slow turns. as soon as u get the wheel turned all the way it stalls or surges really bad ...is it the timing or what no idea here.....

• Sponsors (?)

OK, because I was just gonna say... If it was still in gear I can see it wanting to stall when you're barely moving and have hardly any RPMs...

If it does it out of gear, then I don't really understand that.

Sensor

Some vehicles have a power steering pressure sensor. Not sure if your's does. The sensor senses high pressure and bumps the idle slightly to increase RPM of the motor and thus the pump. If the sensor is bad, the car can possibly stall when the power steering is placed under a load such as in tight turns at low RPM. Hope that helps.

89MustangGX said:
You can clean your IAB as well -- they can cause problems when RPMs drop suddenly if they're dirty (like if you slow down for a turn).
This is true and way more likely then a timing issue.

You do not have a powersteering pressure sensor.

Powersteering pump does have a pressure relief valve in the back of the pump if this is not relieving pressure correctly when the wheel is turned all the way it could cause the pump to start binding. At low rpm this could cause a stall.
Hope this helps.

When you turn you are using the power steering function more (more engine wear) and if your idle is low or "jumpy" anyways that could very well cause a stalling problem.

What is your "still" idle at...you might looking into bumping it up a bit...

ha..when it wants to idle correctly its at 800 normal rpm..but lately its been doiing the damn sticky idle around 1000-1200..i was planning on taking apart my TB,IAC and cleaning all that out really well anyways..

so u dont think its timing at all then?

As I recall, the engine management does not bump up the idle (via the IAC) to compensate for the power steering. The thinking is that the motor has enough power to compensate alone (unlike some 4 bangers which caugh and wheeze).

I would be all over the IAC like Adam, et al, said. The car should hold a decent rolling idle. When you pull codes, (or even if not pulling codes, which I would), check out the VSS to ensure it is functional (it and the puter keep the rolling idle ~1000-1500 RPM [depending upon car and base idle setting]).

Here is a write up on cleaning the IAC and resetting the idle:

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/iac.php

Good luck.

Was it a Ford IAC or an aftermarket one becauseI remember hearing somehting baout the aftermarket one having to be installed backwards. I'd be really surprised if this was timing related but I guess nothing is out of the scope of reality...
My car bogs down real bad under slow sharp turn like parking lot manuevers but never actually stalls. Id have to think your idle was off and the extra load from a full lock turn is doing her in.

Undo the two little bolts and the connection and spray it real good with some carb cleaner and let it air dry out and reinstall it. Very cheap and easy and it could fix your problem:nice:

ok guys my 87 notchback has a problem of stalling when making a turn, like pulling into a parking spot its only when making slow turns. as soon as u get the wheel turned all the way it stalls or surges really bad ...is it the timing or what no idea here.....

ok i had the same problems and could not figure it out..i flushed the ps system and it did help a little but i think thats just cause the fluid was nasty and smelled burnt like...anyways i went through that article and cleaned the IAC,T BODY,and reset the base idle..my car does not have the MAF so i just skipped that part..then i was about to go spend about $40 on a new TPS but decided to check/adjust the voltage just incase..at first it read around .94 i think it was..i turned it up to .99 and everything is great..very simple task just had to borrow the multi meter from my pops...i also have the 3g altenator wich helps but i had to ground it well and then i added a new ground from the original timing cover to the frame and from the left head to firewall..anyways after its all said and done i can run headlights,,electric fans,,stereo,,wipers,,etc at idle and still average 14.2 volts...i never knew a good ground and some carb cleaner could do so much...thank you for the info guys saved me alot of time,,head ach and not to mention the $40

The baffle in your gas tank has broken off. Symptom is stalling in a turn. Drop the tank, pull out the pump and take a broom handle. See if you can move the baffle box around. If so, buy a new gas tank. Happened to both my 5.0Ls.