Car stereo advice needed

zookeeper

Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
Rogue River, Oregon
While I love the sound of my engine, lately it has gotten a bit old, so I'm about the install a CD player. But I need some advice from someone who's done this kinda thing recently. My main concerns are that I do not want to cut up any part of the car, and I want good sound. I picked out a good system, but the local car stereo place is more suited to doing installs on Subarus and Hondas, plus I'm more than a little reluctant to leave my fastback there. I knew all this going in, and also knew I'd need some kick panels like these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
for the front speakers. My question is, how deep are these? I really don't want to impede foot room, nor do I want to have to install special speakers or spacer rings. I know several places sell these with speakers already in, but I'd rather buy the panels and speakers separately so I know I'm getting quality speakers. Also, these claim to accept up to 6" speakers, but most speakers I've seen are 6.5" Has anyone tried to fit these with 6.5's? Any advice at all is welcome and appreciated, thanks, Jim

• Sponsors (?)

For mine I got them from Mustangs plus or unlimited i forget which one exactly; I put in 6.5 infinity components and they sound great but just barely fit. I didn't put any spacers in. One thing you also might consider is the grill you put on top of it; sometimes that takes quite a bit of space and sticks out.

This gives you an idea in terms of how far it sticks out. The dimmer switch is right behind if that helps. give you an idea.

CIMG2217.jpg

I'm with you, I did not want to cut up any part of the car either. 65 fasback
I installed the deck in the glove box opening, I did loose the glove box.
a small amp that I was able to mount horizontally under the glove box, basically at the lowest edge of the dash panel
front kick panel speakers, yes they interfere slightly with the dimmer switch but it is an acceptable compromise. and for the rear I modified a prefab speaker box designed to go behind the seat of a pick up truck. I was able to mount two 8" subs in it and two 6x9's as well. i am sure that I have affected the effectiveness of the subs by altering their air space, but it sounds pretty decent, there are no holes in my trim panels and I still have some trunk space.
I recently added satellite, which I mounted in the opening at the front of my factory console (the door still closes) and hard wired to the deck

P.S. my factory AM radio is still in the dash and still functional

hope it provides some thoughts
gtss
:canada:

I have some shallow mount MB Quarts in stock right now.Most of the other brands boast a biog magnet for increased power handling, but they are too deep.For the rear, you could replace the trap door and make a panel from MDF and put some 6X9's and small 4 channel to drive the whole system.

Somewhat OT, but for the 67-8 I believe there is a repro radio housing that accepts a DIN radio. I don't think there is one for a console, but I'm ambivalent about consoles anyway.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I'm trying to hide/disguise all the stuff, because I don't want to kill the vintage look and feel of the interior, but there's just no way to hide the speakers, and these kickpanels seem to be as good an alternative as I've seen. I may give in and fab a small sub enclosure to fit in the area behind the rear seat when it's a seat. I don't want the interior to take on a "Pimp My Ride" look, but I'm pretty sure I can make it look like it belongs in a stock interior.

I have to say that I don't like the kick panel speaker pods. It looks out of place and it reduces leg room. Sometimes it also interferes with the high beam switch.

I would rather have my stereo components be somewhat stealth so you cant see them.

I just got the pair of speakers that go in place of the factory am radio in the dash. I also have a pair of 6x9 speakers and an amp for the rear package tray. I also have simple Kenwood CD player. It sounds good enough for me. I also used the factory style speaker grilles on the 6x9s.

I have these.

Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories

You could get these. I have seen that people like them.

Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories

i have some 6x9's and 6" speakers with a 800w amp in the trunk, i used to have a DIN but now i just connected a cable to my amp and plug it into my black ipod through the slit in the carpet. all black on black so it doesn't look too off. good volume equalization of the songs is important without something in between though.

I have to say that I don't like the kick panel speaker pods. It looks out of place and it reduces leg room. Sometimes it also interferes with the high beam switch.

I would rather have my stereo components be somewhat stealth so you cant see them.

I just got the pair of speakers that go in place of the factory am radio in the dash. I also have a pair of 6x9 speakers and an amp for the rear package tray. I also have simple Kenwood CD player. It sounds good enough for me. I also used the factory style speaker grilles on the 6x9s.

I have these.

You could get these. I have seen that people like them.

The sound quality of the dual voice coil is easily better, especially in the low end.

You could put a DVC in the dash and a plastic trunk trap door with 6x9s in it.

View attachment 253592