Car Still Shuts Off!!!

ADRENLN

Apr 16, 2003
NJ
i know that over the years this has been a problem for many gt's out there. i was one of the first ones that this happend to and made posts and threads about it back in 2003.

over the years my problem went away not sure why. however, i have seen other threads through the years that this would happen to others.

well, my problem is back after years of not having it....strange

so here it is: crusing on the highway go to get off the ramp push in the clutch...and all of a sudden i realize my car has powered completly off. the steering is locked up and the brakes are hard, all i do is turn the key and the car starts up fine. this used to happen the same way years ago when comming to a light.

just wondering who else has delt with this and if they found the problem.

back then ford did a retune of some sort and replaced the iac and it seemed to do the trick. now im not sure which helped or if it was just a coincidence.

if it is the computer tune....im all messed up now that i have blower tunes and all.

i plan on telling my tuner and see if he knows whats up but i was just curious about you guys?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm betting you have a short in a PCM circuit. It shuts down when it shorts out but it is so quick you don't lose a fuse. Thing is it will be one of the hardest things to track down. All you can do is start off by trying to trace back as many wires as you can. OS circuits, fuel pump, injectors etc. Since it happens when you are slowing and hit the clutch, start in that area. Make sure there are no wires pinched around the cable. Or start in the area of any recent work performed.

Car still shuts off!

You may want to review the link below. You could have similar problems. Worth reading anyway. Check out the post by SHOZ123. Further down, there is a test posted there, that you can try. I sent an email to you. I was thinking of sending you a test procedure that you could review as well. Also, just wondering, does the engine die out only when your rpm starts to drop, or at any rpm? You said just after you pressed your clutch pedal in, that's when your engine died out. It sounds like you are saying, whenever your rpm starts to drop is when your engine dies out. It that correct, or it dies out at any rpm? Good luck, Tommy.

Stuck on p1401 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks and Cars

i know that over the years this has been a problem for many gt's out there. i was one of the first ones that this happend to and made posts and threads about it back in 2003.

over the years my problem went away not sure why. however, i have seen other threads through the years that this would happen to others.

well, my problem is back after years of not having it....strange

so here it is: crusing on the highway go to get off the ramp push in the clutch...and all of a sudden i realize my car has powered completly off. the steering is locked up and the brakes are hard, all i do is turn the key and the car starts up fine. this used to happen the same way years ago when comming to a light.

just wondering who else has delt with this and if they found the problem.

back then ford did a retune of some sort and replaced the iac and it seemed to do the trick. now im not sure which helped or if it was just a coincidence.

if it is the computer tune....im all messed up now that i have blower tunes and all.

i plan on telling my tuner and see if he knows whats up but i was just curious about you guys?

funny. this just happened to me for the first time yesterday. i own a 99 with 90k mi

I had this happen a couple of times 2 yrs ago. I just took my car out of storage. It hadden been driven for 4 months. I was exiting off the expressway and my car died on me. I pulled over and restarted it. I took off and the car drove fine. As I was coming to a stop, it died again. I was pretty sure it had something to do with IAC. The next day I took it off and cleaned it up some. It's worked fine since then. Try to pull codes if it has any and go from there. Pearl02.

You may want to review the link below. You could have similar problems. Worth reading anyway. Check out the post by SHOZ123. Further down, there is a test posted there, that you can try. I sent an email to you. I was thinking of sending you a test procedure that you could review as well. Also, just wondering, does the engine die out only when your rpm starts to drop, or at any rpm? You said just after you pressed your clutch pedal in, that's when your engine died out. It sounds like you are saying, whenever your rpm starts to drop is when your engine dies out. It that correct, or it dies out at any rpm? Good luck, Tommy.

Stuck on p1401 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks and Cars

The 5 v olt voltage return that SHOZ123 is referring to is the voltage the pcm sees when the egr valve is open. The DPFE(differential pressure feedback exhaust) is tied into the egr valve system. When the egr valve opens, it pulls vacuum on the DPFE. As the vacuum goes up, the DPFE sends a 5 volt signal to the pcm. This tells the pcm that the egr valve is open. There is also a regulator that actually applies vacuum to the egr valve. I had to replace these on my 95 B4000 pickup(same as a Ford Ranger). The DPFE has exhaust gases flowing thru it. The moisture from the exhaust can corrode the inside of the sensor. Ford replaced the silver colored DPFE to a black one. Those seem to work well. Probably more info than what you wanted. Pearl02.

Car still shuts off!

Pearl02, Good Info. With todays engines, you just never know. The problem's are getting harder and harder to troubleshoot. Thank you, Tommy.

thank you everyone for your replies. tommy, the email i have on this site is an old one i believe. i never got it.

i too may think it is iac related and will check into that first. im not 100% but i do think it happens most pushing the clutch, braking and comming to a light or exiting a freeyway. so based on that, yes i think its when the rpms are dropping and the car is put in neutral and im breaking. next thing i know the car is turned off. lol.

its not really funny as thisd can cause a serious accident. ford should have a fix for this before someone dies. its not right. with the blower on my car its even more dangerous trying to stop from more momentum and everything locks up.

anyway, its been a rare problem with these cars since they first came out and even though its rare someone could get hurt. if it is the iac that keeps going out every couple years....ford needs a redesign. personally i hope its as simple as that.

i will keep you all posted.