Car *won't* stall?

mcglsr2

Sep 27, 2011
Interesting observation (at least to me) I had over the weekend. I was teaching the GF to drive the 95 GT - I wanted her to stall the car so she knew what it felt like and wouldn't freak out when it happened on the road. We're on level ground by the way, no hills. I had her put in first and just let the clutch out, no gas. She did this slowly as she was nervous. Heh, so as she lets it up closer to the catch point, the car starts creeping forward, no surprise there. Well, she lets it all the way out, and the car is moving along, just like an automatic (and no, ha ha, the car isn't an auto). I was surprised. So I was like, "okay okay, let's do this in 2nd gear then." Same thing. Slowly releasing the clutch in either 1st or 2nd with no gas will actually get the car moving. The car wouldn't stall. Since I'm new to Mustangs, is this normal? Is this because of the torque of the engine?

• Sponsors (?)

I would say that is normal.
The engine's torque is strong enough to get the car moving on a flat surface if you release the clutch slow enough.
On an uphill approach probably wouldn't work.
You could repeat this experiment while having a foot on the break at the same time.
Your not likely to do a burn out at idle :rlaugh:

I would say that is normal.
The engine's torque is strong enough to get the car moving on a flat surface if you release the clutch slow enough.
On an uphill approach probably wouldn't work.
You could repeat this experiment while having a foot on the break at the same time.
Your not likely to do a burn out at idle :rlaugh:

Okay, that's what I figured. It was just a bit surprising as the cars I'm used to driving will just go ahead and stall out. I was like "wait for the stall, wait for it...<car starts moving forward>...okay, hmm, didn't expect that."

Works fine... drove only left foot once with a hurt right...

As someone that also had to to do this (when you sprain your ankle pretty bad at work when you bring your Mustang, you really have no other choice), it sucks, but it's totally doable.

If you let it out slow it will move. Torque, plus gears can make it happen. What gears are in the back? With my crappy 2.73s I can get it moving without a problem, but yeah, I can stall it if I try lol.

As someone that also had to to do this (when you sprain your ankle pretty bad at work when you bring your Mustang, you really have no other choice), it sucks, but it's totally doable.

If you let it out slow it will move. Torque, plus gears can make it happen. What gears are in the back? With my crappy 2.73s I can get it moving without a problem, but yeah, I can stall it if I try lol.