Car won't start-clutch pedal safety switch?

fawcett

Sep 10, 2003
Cohasset, Ma
I've got a manual trany, the car has been starting and not starting intermittantly for the past few weeks and its getting worse. I picked up a starter clutch pedal safety switch (I think thats sort of what its called) but I don't know how to remove the old one and replace it with the new one. Although I strongly feel as if this is the problem, I don't know if this is THE problem. (I could be wrong)

What happens is like a big tease. Sometimes when I push the clutch to the floor it starts-no problem. Other times I turn the key and get nothing-no noise-mechanical motion or anything. I've been lucky to have random strangers bump start my car but thats no way to get around.

How does this gray box with two connections and a plunger like thing mount under the clutch pedal? I can't see if its mounted with screws or rivots. I honestlly can't see anything at all under there and I'm at a loss.

Please help,
-Fawcett

• Sponsors (?)

It does sound like the clutch pedal safety switch. What you describe sounds exactly like what happens when you don't push the clutch in before you start the car - nothing happens, not even a click. I believe it's just held in with plastic push pins, but I honestly don't remember. When you swap it out, I recommend removing the driver's seat to save your back somewhat.

Before removing the old clutch pedal safety switch, I plugged the new one into the car to see if it fixed the problem but it didn't. Its a huge pita to get at. I used a cotter pin to jump both connecters and it didn't do anything either. Then I jacked the car up and had a buddy hit the starter with a hammer and it fired right up. A trip to Advance Auto Parts and $140 later I've got a car that starts.
-Fawcett