Car won't start, please help with ideas?

Stangler

A.K.A. Mr. Hankey
Founding Member
Dec 20, 2001
88' 2.3L 5 speed hatch

Car turns over, but won't run. Can't hear the fuel pump. Checked the relay under the seat, = Good. Hot wired the pump from the wires under the seat, pump turned on, and could start the car. Put relay back in and won't run now. When we checked the relay, it made a clicking sound when power was applied to it. should be good right? Any help would be great, I gotta get home in about 4 hrs. Fuse??? any others with same problem??

Thanks

Nate

• Sponsors (?)

WIth the FP relay installed, probe the fuel pump relay socket. You should find that you're missing one input for the control side of the relay (either the ground pulse from the computer or 12 volts through the inertia switch, via the EEC relay).

Checking your inertia switch real quick (for 12 volts in and out) is not a bad idea if that's the element missing.

See Jrichker's no start checklist for very very detailed diagnostics.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
Checking your inertia switch real quick (for 12 volts in and out) is not a bad idea if that's the element missing.

I forgot about that little basstard!! In my 5.0, it has been removed. I just reset it and it fired right up!!!! Thanks alot!!!!!!! Does that happen alot? Never to me before.

Nate

83Mustang427TT said:
Change the TFI if that doesnt work change the eec power relay on top of the computer bracket
How did you diagnose this? If I read him right, when he jumps the FP relay, the car starts. That's quite telling and has nothing to do with the parts you listed.

I dont reply like this often, but since he's hurting for time and not at home, we dont want him chasing his tail. :cheers:

Stangler said:
I forgot about that little basstard!! In my 5.0, it has been removed. I just reset it and it fired right up!!!! Thanks alot!!!!!!! Does that happen alot? Never to me before.

Nate
Nate, I guess it's not totally uncommon for them to pop (especially if someone nails a pothole, etc). Or as they age, I bet the internals get a little loose. Others can tell you their experiences with them popping for no apparent reason.

Glad to hear you got it whipped. :nice:

MustangGT92 said:
did anyone check the pump relay under the mass air meter???
um,.. you need help? The car is a 88' 4cyl. No mass air meter....:rolleyes: Like I said,.. it's running,.. and I don't think there is a relay over there on a 5.0.

Nate

His thoughts were well intentioned. In late aero foxes, the FP relay was moved from under the seat and over next to the WOT relay on the pass fender.

Let's see who else is nice enough to try and help (it'd be kinda of like a quiz show :D ).