Car wont start.

white5oh

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2002
Kennewick, Wa
I have replaced the fuel pump relay, and a fuel pumps, new plugs, wires, are all new. The car will crank but turn on. When the pump was replaced the car turned on for about 5 min then turned off. I replaced the fuel pump relay it started for about 5 min and then did. And now it will crank but wont start. I pulled the #1 plug and it had spark.

• Sponsors (?)

sounds to me like it isnt geting fuel do you hear a buzz? from the fuel pump when u turn the ignition? you prob diidnt hook up the power or grond right in the pump or your plug may be bad or dirty could be alot of thing a loose fuel hose maybe?

i agree with the fuel diagnosis. i would hook a guage to the schrader valve and see what you pressure is doing. this can save a lot of time piddling around. also, you can jump the fuel pump with the test connector. might want to give that a shot if you have no pressure.
good luck.

yep I would definately check Fuel Pressure. Sounds like if it starts and quits it could be the pump or injectors maybe? If you have a compression guage, you might check the compression. I say that because I had the same thing happen and I replaced my pump and I ended up having low compression with blown head gaskets.

I'd say do the following:

1) Make sure you have gas.
2) Listen for the fuel pump turn on (whine for a few sec when you turn the key on, then it stops)
3) Check Fuel Pressure.

I would save a compression test for a last resort unless you have a compression tester handy since it's not really likely.