Car won't take A/C refrigerant, compressor won't start.

• Sponsors (?)

dont mean to hi jack the thread but, my ac works but when I turn it on , the compressor itself will blow off through the little hole on top of the ac, what would cause this? could there be a clog in the line or something, so the pressure builds and blows off through the valve on the compressor?

Another quick question relating to the A/C and compressor... my A/C hasn't worked for some time, at least since last summer as I don't drive it in the winter months, and I went to recharged the system tonight. Before I put freon in the system, the compressor clicked on and off and the pressure gauge on the canister went up and down when it clicked on and off. When the compressor stopped, it went up, when it went on, it went down. So I added some, and the compressor stayed on like it should with MAX AC and full blower and I filled it up to the specified pressure it should be. After taking the car for a quick spin around the block to get it circulating, the compressor no longer was turning. The air didn't get any colder and the compressor didn't click on like it did before.

Is this a case of the system thinking there isn't enough freon in it so it shuts down the compressor? In this case, is it necessary to vac the system to clear it out, etc? I'm taking the car in to get it inspected probably in the next week or two, I think I will just get it looked at then if I can't figure out.

Thanks, CJ

p.s. I haven't been on this forum in a long timeeeeeeeeeeee.......... feels good to be back haha

ok, bringing her back to life...

I noticed my compressor is coming on and off every 3-5 seconds. I put a gauge on the high side and I bounce between too low and too high and of course my engine idle is bouncing right along with it. So do I add more to it or remove some? I did the R134 conversion 5 years ago when I had a seal go bad.

Carefully add some more refrigerant. You really need a charging gauge set to watch the low and high side pressures at the same time.

Gauge set for recharging = $20-$120 – check out the pawn shops for a bargain before you pay retail.
See Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices for an inexpensive gauge set.
92649.gif