carb electric fuel pump question

5.8liter

Mar 4, 2003
How do I chk voltage on the pump to ensure it is good or not. Turning the key on, the fuel pump makes ABSOLUTELY ZERO noise and car will not fire obviously. This was a carb conversion recently.

• Sponsors (?)

Why is it that all the late model guys want to do carb conversions and the early model guys want fuel injection? Just turn the key on and put a test light on the + wire.

where is your pump located? remember, most electric pumps are made to push fuel, not pull it, so it needs to be as close to the fuel source (tank) as possible to prevent premature failure.

where is your pump located? remember, most electric pumps are made to push fuel, not pull it, so it needs to be as close to the fuel source (tank) as possible to prevent premature failure.

It is just aft of the tank...it is in a proper position to effectively push.....like said the sucker isn't making ANY noise so I gotta get to the bottom of that.

if there is zero noise... you have zero working pump... they all make noise never seen one that doesnt

I'm leaning towards a bad pump.....the thing is that it is a new pump. I was cheap and went with a Holley equivalent..."procomp".

You might have blown the inline fuse if you have one installed. Check your ground going to the pump as well. Speaking of which, what did you terminate the ground wire to?

I am running an inline fuse. I haven't checked it, but the car never fired...so how could it have blown? I terminated my ground wire to the frame on the car. I'm gonna buy a multi-meter today and shoot it and see what I get.

yeah near the tank should be fine, just as long as it isnt on the front strut tower (like ive seen in the past). it should be fuse protected but also be on a relay, the procomp stuff seems like a fair quality (i wouldnt be concerned about that), sound like a simple wiring issue... here is a really good write up on why you need a relay and how to wire it up...
Wiring a Relay for Accessories
i know this is a motorcycle page but it still applys.

I am running an inline fuse. I haven't checked it, but the car never fired...so how could it have blown? I terminated my ground wire to the frame on the car. I'm gonna buy a multi-meter today and shoot it and see what I get.

Well, normally it will receive power once your key hits the on position, even before you have turned to start.

Thx

Thx guys....yeah hopefully it is just a simple wiring issue at best. I was gonna troubleshoot it today, but it was raining and had to get up the Christmas stuff....maybe I wil get on it this week.

Thx and I will keep you posted.:nice: