Carb to EFI Combo Q's

Slugstang

Dec 9, 2003
Va.
I have a carb-ed 85 Mustang (Flemworld.com) that I built up about 8 years ago but then decided to swap to EFI. My eventual goal is twin turbo's but that is down the road still, I need to get it converted to EFI first.

Anyway, I've been out of the loop as far as EFI mods go and just wanted some feedback on my combo I am putting together to make sure it is matched.

Currently:
302 .30 over
TFS Heads
F303 Cam
1.6 Rockers

EFI Parts:
88 Harness and AL9 computer
MSD TFI Distributor
75mm TB
70mm MAF and 24lb injectors
Spyder Intake

I'm mainly concerned about the MAF and TB sizes and if they will work together or if I go the combo out of whack.

Thanks,

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

You didnt post a 225 fuel pump & an adj fuel pressure reg. Also, If I was tinking about turbo later, If you dont already have the MAF & injectors, I would go with the 90 mm LMAF & 42 lb injector combo. A lot of guys on here dont seem to like the LMAF but, I have it and it works fine for me. Im not a pro at this stuff though. I do have the TWEECER RT for tuning & you might want to look into that or another form of tuner also. While it might not be a turbo car yet, you wont have to buy injectors twice that way but, if you do have the MAF,TB, & injectors, it should be fine for an N/A car. The spyder intake, is that like the edlebrock victor but, set up for injectors? I have the summit knock off version of the victor that I moded for injector but Im still building & dont have the car running to give any feed back about that yet.

I have a Areomotive A1000 pump and regulator just forgot to add that in the list. The Spyder intake is like the Edlebrock. I already have the parts I listed below. I basically just want to get it up and running as EFI first but wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have any issues with what i have. I probably won't start the turbo project until next year. I'll check into the LMAF and Tweecer though. Thanks!

Sounds like you definately have enough fuel pump. I would think, as long as the MAF is "calibrated" to the injectors you should be fine then. The TWEECER RT is a very cool tuner. You should also get Binary Editor & EEC Analyser ( BE & EA ) as the soft ware that comes with the TWEECER RT isnt that user friendly if you decide to get a tuner. The EEC Tuner forum has a lot of info & support for more than just the TWEECER RT. I dont know which is the best tuner to use as I have only used the one I have. I still have the stock TB but hope to be upgrading soon. I still have to find a way to mount my throttle cable as I had to delete the EGR spacer to have room for the intake elbow to fit. good luck with your build. Im sure lots of other guys with more experience will give you more info.

Forget the 90mm lightning maf and 42 injectors, and tweecer.
It will be a disaster to get your car to run right when converting to mass air.
Get the basics done factory style, then upgrade.
Save the 42's for when you really have a turbo setup.
Injectors are sized for your setup now, not in the future.

Get a pmas or dbx meter and 24lb injectors.
I'd also use a fox efi tank and stock line setup at the moment, running an a1000 is certainly overkill for your current setup, not to mention it's loud, expensive to setup and they burn out easily.

Thanks for the info guys. The car is not stock at all. It's tubbed out, full sportsman cage, fuel cell and all so the stock EFI fuel system is out of the question, current it has one 10an line running up front from my old carb setup. I may just get a inline 255lb pump, for now till I am ready to go turbo.

Thanks for the info guys. The car is not stock at all. It's tubbed out, full sportsman cage, fuel cell and all so the stock EFI fuel system is out of the question, current it has one 10an line running up front from my old carb setup. I may just get a inline 255lb pump, for now till I am ready to go turbo.

You can use walbro hp 255 inline pumps, one for now, then split it to a second when you put the turbo in.

instead of a second fuel pump. I plan to run Meth injection as a secondary fuel supply when under boost. Again, Im not an expert on this stuff but, Ive see how well meth injection has worked on a buddys car & Im just fallowing his lead on that one. Just driving around town, nobody NEEDS big injectors but at WOT the 42's should work well for me & the meth is going to provide extra fuel, higher octane, & chemical inner cooling. I do agree that it would be easier to start over with stock stuff to get it up an running but, where's the fun in that lol. You already have parts on hand. Might as well use what ya have and pull your hair out trying to get it right than buying a bunch of stock stuff that you are just going to toss out later. It sounds like this is going to be just a track car anyway. Mine is too even though it will be street driven also. My turbo set up is internally rear mounted just to be a little different.