Carburetor Fuel Float Adjustment Help

Joe Scrivens

Aug 27, 2014
Hey guys,

on to the next issue.

I have a holley Quick Fuel technologies Carburetor.

I was adjusting my fuel floats when all the sudden the fuel bowl emptied out.

I am guessing the float "bottomed out"

The car is running but now the idle is VERY high (which once i fix the fuel bowl issue I will figure out)

But how do i fix this bottomed out fuel float on this carburetor? and second part hpow do I adjust the carburetor to get the fuel adjusted correctly?

• Sponsors (?)

Third time I am trying to answer on a stupid Iphone.

On Holley carbs, the fuel level should be at or slightly above the bottom of the sight plug edge or window. I sometimes set it a little lower for heat soak when parked hot.

Loosen the large flat screw on the top of the bowl, turn the nut under it to raise and lower the needle seat ( and fuel level) then tighten the screw to stop the fuel from coming out the top.

Now why did the float drop??? I would pull the bowl, inspect the float for a bent tab and make sure it still floats. Also remove and inspect the needle seat assy. and make sure the o ring is not damaged too.

Reactions: 1 user
Third time I am trying to answer on a stupid Iphone.

On Holley carbs, the fuel level should be at or slightly above the bottom of the sight plug edge or window. I sometimes set it a little lower for heat soak when parked hot.

Loosen the large flat screw on the top of the bowl, turn the nut under it to raise and lower the needle seat ( and fuel level) then tighten the screw to stop the fuel from coming out the top.

Now why did the float drop??? I would pull the bowl, inspect the float for a bent tab and make sure it still floats. Also remove and inspect the needle seat assy. and make sure the o ring is not damaged too.

OMG i feel your pain about the IPhone thing. i actually tried to reply yesterday and my phone wouldn't let me select the correct box on the screen to type LOL

Yes I figured it out.

I confused which controlled the needle height.

I didn't realize the nut itself controlled the needle and not the locking screw LOL

I didn't bottom it out i just sent the pin too low and it wasn't allowing the float to eherm FLOAT lol

now it idled normal again and the fuel is just above the fuel window. it jossled the fuel around sicne i have a wild cam but its sounding better and sounds like it is firing a little less rich too!!

my spark would always look like there was so much carbon on the spark plugs. i didn't realize the fuel float window being completely filled was the culprit LOL

i'm almost track ready. just gotta figure out the leak from the transmission (possible shifter housing gasket issue or speedometer hole leaking.)