Car's black box may be key in murder case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I post this with some aprehension. I respect all of the posters in this thread and feel some of you may judge me differently. Many of you I hold (electronically) in high regard. And I know some of you have personal/family experience that you base your opinion on, however, I feel you are dead wrong about street racing (as opposed to racing on the street-there IS a difference).
I street raced from 87 to 90 with my 650 hp 1968 Dodge Charger R/T. It was one of the fastest cars in the OC and South LA areas back then. All of the races took place in planned out industrial truck areas, on either Sun morning (12 am to 3 am usually) or Sunday night (11pm to 1 am). During these hours there were no workers at these facilities and no truck traffic. ALL of the areas used were wide, long streets that had brick walls on either side and had points we could close at each end.
The way it worked was we had a rolling calendar of meet sites. To the unknowing it looked like a cruise night at a restaurant. People would negotiate races, prices, handicaps, and race location. A small group would be sent out to secure the location. Once clear, they would radio in the racers. Line up, run, return to meet point. We're not talking a line a cars racing, we're talking 2 cars and return. Were there deaths/injuries? Sure, but the entire time I raced no innocent party was ever involved. Was it dangerous? You bet, but no more dangerous than playing football (2 players from my district died in games my senior year 87, no street racers died in the district), horseback riding, surfing, skateboarding, dirt biking, etc.
This organized, clandestine street racing is a far cry from the reckless driving in traffic or populated areas that is termed "Street Racing" by the media.
Before any of you say "take it to a track" back then there were none in So Cal. There was Carlsbad raceway 100+ miles to the south in San Diego area, but it did not have a long enough shutdown. There was LACR in the high desert above LA, but there were few non-sanctioned events back then. OCIR , Lyons, and all the other cool famous tracks closed in the mid 80's due to high insurnace and expensive real estate. Pomona was still a temporary track only assemble in the fairgrounds parking lot twice a year for the NHRA. Termianl Isalnd/Brotherhood Raceway never could stay open and they too didn't have appropriate shutdown. The only thing available these days are LACR and the Street Legal Drags at California Speedway, but these are only sanctioned events which you must meet NHRA tech standards.
I don't street race anymore (except a few stoplight runs), but I won't pass judgement on those who do.
If I shoot a gun in the forest where no one is am I as reckless as someone who would shoot a gun in a crowded city? In the forest I may die from a malfunction or a ricochet, but that's my gamble. No one else would ne in danger.

I hope I have not lost any electronic friends over this post. I know SD never liked my opinion on this subject and I felt he never treated me the same after our disagreement. Oz too didn't care for my stand, but I think we finally agreed to disagree. Remember, it's just my opinion. You opinion can be different, I just want people to see there may be a different side.

[gp puts on nomex and prepares for the sky to start falling]

• Sponsors (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.