Cars Vs. Girls....

My wife and I met through a common interest in cars, and although it's been tough to get her to see the end project in various cars over the years, I have a secret weapon: my brother! See, my brother is such a jackass to his soon-to-be-ex-wife and so selfish when it comes to getting the toys he wants and doing as he pleases, my wife thinks I'm a saint! Sure I'm spending a little more money working on the '68, but at least I'm not blowing $20K on a race car that seems to get wrecked every week! And while I may be in a the garage alot, I'm not getting lap-dances from strippers am I? See where I'm going here? It's like the old joke about a good way to look thinner is by hanging out with fat people. All I have to do is be more responsible and considerate than my brother!

• Sponsors (?)

65mistress said:
Who gets to wrench on the baby most often? :D

"This baby will do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds"
"Just washed and waxed this baby"
"Let's see what this baby can do"

LOL--that depends on if the diaper is dirty or not!!!

Speaking of babies--time to brag a little. Our son talks A LOT for a two-year-old, and he does know the word MUSTANG. He likes to mimic me when I'm working on it. Gotta start 'em young, you know!

That's the truth. My son was only about a year old when I bought my '68 and loved riding in it before I disassembled it. He's been in the garage for all the major milestones throughout the build. He was there when I was doing bodywork. He was playing in the car when I was taking the motor out. He watched through the window when I painted the car. He was there late at night when I laid out the stripes. He was there when the wife and I put the new motor in and listened with his hands over his ears when I fired it for the first time with open headers. He's handed me wrenches, gotten me something to drink from the house and helped me understand that it's not the end of the world when something goes wrong. Any guesses who'll be sharing the first ride when it's done?

zookeeper said:
Any guesses who'll be sharing the first ride when it's done?

Your buddy? :rlaugh:

My daughter is the same, she's been in, on, and around Mustangs since birth, she's 12 now and keeps telling me that the current mistress is hers when she starts driving.

Maybe, either that or a shiny yellow Yugo, depending on where her grades are at that time. :D

65mistress said:
Your buddy? :rlaugh:

My daughter is the same, she's been in, on, and around Mustangs since birth, she's 12 now and keeps telling me that the current mistress is hers when she starts driving.

Maybe, either that or a shiny yellow Yugo, depending on where her grades are at that time. :D
You didn't think I was going to let my kid get cookie crumbs all over my new interior didja?:D Speaking of a kid's first car, ever wonder what some parents are thinking when they go car shopping for Junior's first ride? I don't know about your first car, but mine suffered through all my mistakes. I don't want to have to make 7 years worth of payments on my kid's mistakes and I feel they tend to value anything a little more if they have something invested in the thing, whether it's time or money. Now watch someone tell me how their kid deserved the new $40K pimp-wagon they bought them...:nono:

my mustang was my first car and it had a whopping price tag of all of 1500 bucks when my folks bought it. 23 years later and i'm finally get all my mistakes fixed. LOL. actually it was my daily driver for a very long time then it got parked to start on the full blown resto and then i got married and had my daughter so the process got slowed quite a bit.

My dad couldn't afford to buy me a car since it really wasn't a neccessity that I have one. If I wanted one I had to work for it. So I worked all summer on a contract at the local military bases stripping stucco off of houses (family private quarters) then strapping and insulating them in preparation for siding. Also installed all new windows. I did over twenty houses myself and made enough money to buy my freshly painted '69 Chev Fleetside and drive myself to school that September. At sixteen this wasn't my first job, but these days I don't see young people wanting to work for anything anymore. If they can't get instant gratification then its not worth it. Of course there are exceptions to the rule on this site, but I really think they know that they are exceptions.

Edit: typo.

krash kendall said:
My dad couldn't afford to buy me a car since it really wasn't a neccessity that I have one. If I wanted one I had to work for it. So I worked all summer on a contract at the local military bases stripping stucco off of houses (family private quarters) then strapping and insulating them in preparation for siding. Also installed all new windows. I did over twenty houses myself and made enough money to buy my freshly painted '69 Chev Fleetside and drive myself to school that September. At sixteen this wasn't my first job, but these days I don't see young people wanting to work for anything anymore. If they can't get instant gratification then its not worth it. Of course there are exceptions to the rule on this site, but I really think they know that are exceptions.

my folks pyed for the intial purchase of the car but everything else was my responsibility and i've bought every other car i've ever owned. they also bought my brother's 1st car and my little sister's 1st 3 cars...

Nothing at all wrong with that, lots of parents buy a decent, safe, reliable used car for their kids first car and I think it's a wise choice. The ones that get under my skin are the ones who buy their kids new Hummers, new Mustang GT's or brand-new full size 4x4 trucks as a first vehicle. I've seen kids driving each of these vehicles to high school near me and they all treat them just like what they are, "free cars". After all, the 16 year old never made the payments, or the paid the insurance, so why wash it? Why drive it like it has to last? Why not let your freinds spill drinks on the leather seats or eat in it? Didn't cost them a dime. Jeez I sound old...

My first car was an 81 blazer that we paid something like $300 for. It had more bondo than old Sadie and got about 10 mpg. The worst I ever did was accidently back into a light pole (it was in a blind spot) and all it did was crack the bondo.

The first car I actually bought myself was old Sadie (with my college grant/scholarship overage), then I bought new Sadie myself with part of an inheritance that my grandma gave me.

-Chelle

The first car that I ever owned was a 1974 Volkswagen Beetle. I paid $1,500 for it back in 1981 and that was a lot of money considering it needed another $1,000 in structural frame work (the front frame that bolted on the undercarraige needed replacement because it was bent). I owned the car for over 4 years and I sold it for $1,500 in 1985. That's when I purchased a brand new Honda Civic S hatchback.

Most parents didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid so none of my friends had cars unless they bought them themselves. My first car was a '67 Plymouth Valiant! It was a POS but it only cost me $150 and always ran! It's ridiculous the way some parents buy their kids very expensive new cars. I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a reasonalble USED car for your kid but I know many kids that have brand new mustangs, BMWs, etc.. all paid for my their folks, including insurance and sometimes gas! Kids these days are so spoiled that they don't want to leave home or get out of college because they know they can't afford to live as good as they have been with their parents. I couldn't wait to get a job after college. I was sick of eating mac and cheese and driving a POS, I wanted to be on my own too.

My daughter was telling me one day recently about the car she wanted when she can drive and I set her straight right there. I told her that I would match her dollar for dollar any amount she saves to buy her own car. I also told her that she wouldn't be allowed to drive by herself until I was satisfied with her ability regardless of whether DMV gives her a license. I see so many parents that just let their kids hit the road as soon as they get their license regardless of how much experience they have had with their learners permit. We all spoil our kids and I'm no exception but driving is too important and potentially dangerous to treat frivilously.

I rambled a little but this is a topic that gets to me.