Cash for clunkers victims!!!

• Sponsors (?)

My uncle has a legit GNX that is a 10 second car. He has every original piece he's removed for modification in perfect condition. I absolutely love those cars. That a GNX got killed like that is a sin against humanity.

Adam

Were some of those people not fed as a baby or what? That woman with the GNX should be arrested and hung after being put up for the public to throw rocks at her. Always wanted a GNX, never gonna have one though. Too damn hard to find and way to much for what I wanna spend.

The point was to get low-mileage cars off the road. If your OEM gas mileage was 18 0r lower, you could trade in for a new car that was at least 3mpg higher than your trade-in. The point was to get folks to spend money again, in hopes it would give the economy a small jump start.

Remember, most folks aren't as attached to their cars as we are. It's a toy they can throw away with when they're done. :(

Just made people get into more debt
Glad someone else beat me to it...

The average from all the "Clunkers" traded in the program was 49 months @ $317 per month.

You have to think that now, many of these people now have an extra 317 a month in payments that they didn't have before as there "clunker" was paid off.

And also think that those who got new cars, and got rid of there clunkers, will be driving MORE since the new car is in better condition...and thus using MORE gas...

Not such a great idea now was it?

I don't think it was the best idea, but it's better than just handing money out to banks. We'll see how it works out. Something to think about. You can get up to $4500 for your clunker, but by my best math, which isn't terribly accurate due to the data available, I admit, it comes up costing about $1000 per vehicle for the government. $500 per car if you don't count the loss in gas tax revenue.

Furthermore, if someone traded in their GNX as a clunker, so be it. If they own their car, they can do whatever they want with it, cuz this is America. Even if it isn't a financially sound decision.

Kurt

After looking through the list I noticed that a lot of cars on there got better mileage than 18mpg combined. My '87 Mark VII was rated at 19mpg and there were a few of those. Plus some Aspires, Accords, and a few others. I actually called the CARS hotline to see what this was about, and they simply said that if the vehicle doesn't meet the criteria the dealership won't get the money. However those cars were still put in a junkyard for no good reason.

I think that the value of some of these vehicles was much greater than the 4500 max. Im not sure why the dealers wouldn't have just taken them in as regular trade ins then resold them for a much greater profit. The only thing I can imagine is that they were in terrible condition. Heck, GNX clones sell for around 10k, and the real ones sell for much more. Oh well, they are gone now.