Cast/Forged Steel Crank, what's the differenct?

Steve-Os95GT

Jun 21, 2005
I did a search before posting this thread and didn't find anything so I was hoping someone could help me out. What is the difference between a cast steel and a forged steel crank? Which one is better, which one costs more/less, which one weighs more/less?

• Sponsors (?)

A cast crank is moulten steel poured into a form and then it gets machined into the finished crank.

A forged crank is basically the same except it's poured under pressure.

Forged is usaually a little more expensive and a little heavier. But is also usually stronger.

The forged is always going to be stronger, and more expensive than a cast crank. But which is better will depend on your plans. If you are using a stock block, a cast crank will likely out last the block ie the block will breal before the crank does, so there is no reason to spend the extra on the forged crank. A cast is probably good up to 400 rwhp, anything higher than that I would start looking at better blocks and a forged crank.
I don't have personal experience of blcoks or cranks breaking, but this is what I have been told by folks that know a lot more than I do.