Cat question for 2003 cobra's

jester805

Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Central IL
I want to get a new H pipe for my '03 cobra, but I've heard mixed things. I've heard that the less restrictive it is...the better. I've also heard that not having any cats can mess up the supercharger. Is it true that it has the boost set and a wastegate to let off the extra boost it produces?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

jester805 said:
I want to get a new H pipe for my '03 cobra, but I've heard mixed things. I've heard that the less restrictive it is...the better. I've also heard that not having any cats can mess up the supercharger. Is it true that it has the boost set and a wastegate to let off the extra boost it produces?

Thanks
Generallly speaking, the more open an exhaust is, the better an engine will breathe. This can free up some ponies, but usually a little low end torque will be lost. The stock H pipe's are pretty good, its the mufflers that offer the most restrictions.
Oh, and by the way - SC's dont use wastegates - thats for turbo's. We have Blow off valves, and they open when the throttle body is closed, allowing a place for the boosted air to exit your piping.

peace

Tat98Cobra said:
Generallly speaking, the more open an exhaust is, the better an engine will breathe. This can free up some ponies, but usually a little low end torque will be lost. The stock H pipe's are pretty good, its the mufflers that offer the most restrictions.
Oh, and by the way - SC's dont use wastegates - thats for turbo's. We have Blow off valves, and they open when the throttle body is closed, allowing a place for the boosted air to exit your piping.

peace

Cool...thanks for the info. I have some 2 chamber Flowmasters on it now. I've used those on my past two GT's and was really happy so I put them on the cobra. They don't impress me NEARLY as much on this car.

jester805 said:
Cool...thanks for the info. I have some 2 chamber Flowmasters on it now. I've used those on my past two GT's and was really happy so I put them on the cobra. They don't impress me NEARLY as much on this car.
Although Flowmasters sound awesome on stangs, they are in reality one of the poorest flowing designs. MAgnaflows seem to be the best for the 03' right now

peace

I got the Magnaflows put on my 01 Saturday...

Nice !! :eek: :nice:

Noticable sound without being obnoxious and I can feel the HP increase

Can't wait to see it on a dyno again.. Gotta be at least 25 hp gain

The shop that did the install also recently did one on an LS1 that gave a 30 HP increase..

dark_cobra_01 said:
I got the Magnaflows put on my 01 Saturday...

Nice !! :eek: :nice:

Noticable sound without being obnoxious and I can feel the HP increase

Did you do the cat-back, or just mufflers welded in?? I just called Magnaflow to see why the cobra package is $40 more than the GT package. He said it's because of the way the pipe bends for the independant rear suspension. Just sounds like a way for them to make more money to me. :shrug:

LsRedy2Kstang said:
Well, I just last week saw an 03 with stock hpipe put down 374 rwhp stock, then changed to a Magnaflow catback and gained 399!

I would suggest that an X or Hpipe and catback would be better than that stocker for sure.

Catbacks dont change the x or h pipes. The HP improvement is from the Magna Mufflers alone

peace