Catalytic Converter Damaged. How bad is it for my car?

My car's exhaust hangs so low with my SLP catted X pipe that it scrapes on absolutely everything. i cant even clear pine cones. I kept scraping it on things until my right side cat finally started bending and crunching up.

Two days ago i started noticing a metal pinging/clanging noise from the exhaust and i crawled under to find that the right side cat has been smashed flat on the bottom edge. It is reducing the flow of exhaust out that side of my exhaust and it is really noticable in the tone of the car (when i accelerate, it no longer screams in the higher rpms. it just keeps a deep semi-clogged tone.)

Could this have any negative effects on my car? Im pretty much broke right now, so im going to start earning some money for a new cat, but is my car safge to drive around for a little while with the cat moderatly crunched up?

• Sponsors (?)

you sure it's not just the cat shield? If so just tack weld (or JB weld it yourseld) the shiled back in place, mines doing the same thing from a few speed bump encounters.

*EDIT* Meh I didn't read you all the way.... the dent is just restricting flow, but I think the metal noise oculd still be the shield... also theres a chance that it may have caused a leak in the midpipe where it connects to the header and that the dent may not be what's restricting?

Good luck either way, btw you gonna get 2 new cats or does the manufacturer sell them single?

It is actually a good thing that you broke that cat - now you don't have a reason NOT to get an offroad h or x pipe for $150 bucks new, or less than $100 used!

There are ways around emission laws and the laws in your state are created NOT because of mustang enthusiasts without cats - it's the junker cars that SPEW out smoke and crap into the air that you "pleasantly" pass when you see them on the road. If the truth be known an engine that is operating efficiently - with NO problems - will actually pass most emissions state inspections based solely on emissions (yes, most counties don't require emissions testing therefore it "technically" wouldn't matter in those states) but obviously they you WOULD fail a "visual" inspection because it is technically a felony to remove the catalytic converters on your car if they came from the factory with cats(doesn't apply to pre 1980 cars). Nobody gets charged with that because if you have ANY common sense you don't rev your engine loud enough to cause suspicion from a local police officer.

I have had friends that have been pulled over and the cops knew what they were doing and LOOKED under the car and busted them. One lady had a cop as her boyfriend and they arrested her still - they dropped the charges when she put the stock pipe back on(which she then removed again after the charges were cleared) My other friend was pulled over for turn downs and the cop said he wouldn't file charges if he put tail pipes back on ( yes, it is illegal to have turn downs - so if you have them you should mount "dummy pipes" so a cop won't have probable cause to pull you over! )

At the end of the day you have to remember the Cop sitting next to you in the Chevy police car could have a 400 hp camaro at home and can tell by your exhuast note(if they are schooled, like me...) not only that you don't have cats but even the type of system ( I can distinguish an x pipe from an h pipe with or without cats on a car driving by...)

Hell if you really want to Pi$$ the wife off, go out and buy long tubes AND an offroad x pipe - I can get away with that, but you might want to think about that move! :shrug:

If that option doesn't work the easiest way to tell if you have a busted cat is get going to at least 20 mph and put your car in neutral - if the car hits your baseline idle and then "bounces" or revs up and down a few hundred rpms you have a busted cat. I wouldn't recommend replacing ONE cat - go ahead an at least upgrade to a new exhuast system with HIGH FLOW cats if you can't deal with the off road option I suggested (which usually suggest having either a buddy that KNOWS how to change exhuasts in your garage or his garage (or driveway), or you know a guy that looks the other way and won't fail you on the "visual inspection" but really if your check engine light isn't on (mil elimnators turn it off) then your car won't have any problems)

Good luck
:spot:

:rlaugh: i used to be the guy telling everyone "screw catalytic converters. switch to an offroad pipe" while i had no cats

#1...i already have hi flow cats on my SLP catted X
#2...i just installed this CATTED x pipe only 5 months ago!
---> i have already been running no cats with my magnapacks for nearly 2 and a half years with an Offroad H pipe, but had to switch it up (due to getting so much crap from everyone about polluting the environment, mainly my parents and a few friends) I was also getting tired of the fact that every cop and sheriff in my county knew me on a first name basis because i had the loudest car on the road. :rlaugh:

thanks for the helpful suggestions guys. im positive that it is the cat. its not just the shield. the actual innards of the cat are pinging and clanging around inside when i rev. i still have my old offroad H pipe, but i think im just going to save up and buy the "race pipes" that SLP makes to swap in place of the cats because the X is a little bit better flowing.

Im just curious how long i will be able to drive and not injure my car with one of the cats restricing flow. my engine sounds clogged and bogged down but there is still exhaust flow out the side with the smashed cat.

"i have already been running no cats with my magnapacks for nearly 2 and a half years with an Offroad H pipe, but had to switch it up"

I am running the same rear pipes with a catless MAC ProChamber. Cops never say anything. Lots of positive comments at red lights. Probably half of the gas I burn is from blipping the throttle whenever possible. Doesn't sound loud until I pass a car at heavy throttle or drive through a tunnel. SWEET!

Tell the complainers to STFU and get a Prius - they will offset your emissions.

:lol: the complainers being mainly my parents and cops.

but yes i love the sound of no cats. my magnapacks and offroad H combo actually grew a little quiet for my taste and i was thinkin about having the exhaust dumped right after the magnapacks......im still anxious to hear how my SLP x will sound with no cats will sound paired up with magnapacks.

oh and by the way sav0320, offroad prochamber and magnapacks sounds AMAZING. i know from experience. probably my favorite sounding exhaust of all time :hail2:

i will probably just sell my offroad H and use the money to buy another cat or the SLP straight pipes for my x pipe