catalytic converter emergency - need to repair asap!

Feb 11, 2007
99 cobra (mustang), has bassani BX x pipe with high flow cats. anyway, both cats have the element loose in the shell. the elements are all there and together, but if you tip them they slide in the shell. How is the element retained in the cat? I want to keep the cats for no check engine light (diablosport f'ed me on the tuner update so cannot turn rear o2s off) and smell. What can I do to repair these cats without buying new ones?

Thanks,

Brian

• Sponsors (?)

thanks for the link.

I took both cats off and I realized the element had come loose from the shell. I spoke with bassni and catco (the company that makes the cats) and they both say the cats will work fine but rattle until they erode out. They use a fiberglass mat secured to the outer shell to retain the element.

I will try dimpling the converter in an effort to retain the element. If not, I will use screws as your site suggests. I'll let you know

Doesnt bassani have a warrenty? Ill think twice about buying thier products.

you dont know the running state condition of his car. for all he knows it could be running crazy rich. and if hes running 93 octane when he has an 87 octane tune only makes matters worse. now i realize he said 99 cobra so its probably tuned for 93 fuel so thats not an issue here

dont pass judgement so quickly. regardless of a company putting a warranty on their product. a catalytic converter will eventually need to be replaced. the time for which one needs to be replaced is completely dependent on the car. its never the same for 2 people

True nighthawk. That why I said I would think about it. I was just looking at thier long tubes and an x pipe. I have always heard great things about bassani but they should stand by thier products weather they are the manufacture of the cats or not. I had a boost leak (crappy procharger plastic intake pipe crushed from overtightening one of the clamps, oops) for probably 10k that made my car run so rich it would throw the check engine light. The stock cats are still good, when I put them back on last smog check the emmissions were in the bottom 5% of the allowable range.

bassani buys some cheaper cats from a company called catco. i bought the setup used so i can't really call in a warranty. they were only on the other car for 20k miles though.

PS: bassani tech support is terrible. their customer service rep had no idea what goes on in the cat and what is even in it.