catalytic converters need help

kylehawk

Feb 24, 2004
texas
i just got a 2002 v6 3.8L mustang 5speed manual and im trying to decide wat would be the best catalytic converter to put on there
ive already decided that im not going to get a new exhaust and instead just put a cutout valve that hooks up directly to the cats
after i get the cats i also will need info on wat long tube headers will not only fit on the cats but are just as badass
any suggestions? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

you're not going to put an exhaust on......but you're going to put on new cats and a cutout?????

get high flow cats from any exhaust shop or summit/jegs/etc. I'd highly recommend keeping the cats.....the V6's sound like a rice burner without them

First off, the stock y-pipe has (4) cats already on it. So do you wanna have the four cats cut out and then have (2) high flow cats welded in? Secondly, there are no long-tube headers out there that fit to the stock y-pipe. If you want long tubes, then you will have to get rid of your stock y-pipe and bolt in an h-pipe. Lastly, why dont you want an aftermarket exahust. IMO, having two polsihed tips coming out of the rear bumper looks a hell of a lot better than the ugly stock tailpipe. Plus, with an exhaust you will pick up a little bit of performance. Here is what I think you should do...

Purchase MAC Long-Tube Headers, a MAC h-pipe with high flow cats, and then any aftermarket dual exhaust you like. Just food for thought.

I don't think you're gonna get what you want without a whole new exhaust system......the cutout looks like a waste of time unless you have such a bada$$ car that the exhaust is creating so much backpressure as to be a pain.

well first off im not going for looks here i want ppl to look at my car hear it and think its all stock then i when i hit the switch valve open and bam whooped his ass second the valve hooks on to the end of the cats so like on the stock y pipe where they all connect to one just before the muffler is where u would put it if u go to that site it will show u and u will also notice that with this cutout an exhaust would just be a Complete waste of money which is y i need info on cats and headers to fit the cats for my car (all stock cats are going)

Well, if you are dead set on doing this then get MAC short tube headers and those will bolt to your y-pipe. Have the muffler shop cut out all 4 cats and replace them with any hiflow cats of your choice. Then get your cut out. BTW, is the cut out supposed to add HP & TQ or is just for sound?

the cutout alone should add at least 35 hp and torque im sure because basically its just like not having a muffler at all so the air goes from the headers to the cats then thru the cutout valve its basically u completely cut off ur muffler and exhaust pipe and just have headers and cats and thats it its basically the same thing all the muffler does is filter ur air which restrict the amount of airflow out ur exhaust which just slows u down

ok this is all i really want the only things im dead set on are long tube headers new cats and this http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/qtec.htm so if u no of any way i can do all that tell me even if it means completely new exhaust system

o and 1quick6 i just looked under my car and from the dealership it only came with two cats so i dont no where u got 4 from but they do need replacing one of them i think burned out but i wont no for sure till my immessions test tomorrow

1quick6 my bud wants me to ask u if u car had or has 4 cats and if it adds more horsepower to have 4 instead of 2

and he also thinks its important to comment that i want my exhaust to be quiet when that cutout valve is closed

yeah i think ima just go to the junk yard and just wrap some cats off a random car gut them and since i just passed my emissions test replace them with my current ones till next year (eat that stupid laws) :lol:

This is the time when you realize, since I am going to need good enough exhaust to pass emissions, I might as well keep my old stockers to bolt back up during emission test time and then bolt-in the new exhaust immediately afterwards. That's the only way I passed emissions back when I had my camaro.