cats smoking, what gives?

SAYNOTORICE

Aug 21, 2003
Massachusetts
:shrug: my cats are smoking like a muthaf$cka...at fiirst i freaked and thought it was the engine cause there was a ticking noise also, but its just exhuats leaking from the cats...whats going on here...my h-pipe isnt even two years old...do they smoke when they get all worn out?

• Sponsors (?)

SAYNOTORICE said:
:shrug: my cats are smoking like a muthaf$cka...at fiirst i freaked and thought it was the engine cause there was a ticking noise also, but its just exhuats leaking from the cats...whats going on here...my h-pipe isnt even two years old...do they smoke when they get all worn out?
Is your smog pump shot? If your pump goes out your cats heat up.

UMMMM...exhaust systems don't smoke when they wear out..they rust, but wear out...NOPE..I'd be thinking it's engine related..you may want to check that out sooner than later.

It could be oil from the back intake gasket. When those go the oil runs down the bellhousing onto the cats, and will smoke. Also, if your tailshaft is leaking tranny fluid it will also leak onto the damn cats and smoke. My air pump is shot and i know my cats are toast but i dont see any smoke, except from the tranny fluid leaking slowly from my tailshaft.

YeaH

Sounds like your car is running rich or one of your cylinders is missing. Extra fuel can get caught up in the cats and burn up sometimes causing smoke or the cat to get red hot. Or it just happens to be that the cat is clogged and over heating. Either way it will probably need to be replaced or removed.