Caution: Changing from green to blue cluster!

Before spending time, effort and money on changing your cluster from green to blue you should make sure your cluster does NOT have a green film already as blue LEDs will NOT shine through.

I followed the instructions in another thread and bought the bright blue LEDs suggested.

After installing the LEDs and adjusting them so all were lit, I was met by a dimly lit aqua colored instrument cluster with plenty of dark spots and dark needles (The instrument/headlight knob was turned on maximum brightness).

During research I learned that any model year can have either clear or green film - it's the luck of the draw.

So if you are thinking of doing this make sure you have a clear film in your cluster!

• Sponsors (?)

I can not believe that people dont research a little more before claiming that you can only have a clear film cluster for this to work. Also if you have the green film it wont work..... BS. If you have the green film on there all you have to do is take a ultra fine sand paper and sand off the green film on the back side. This does not damage anything at all and it allows the color(which ever you choose) to shine brightly throught the back with no hot spots. I have done this many times and its easy. sorry for my rant.

Before spending time, effort and money on changing your cluster from green to blue you should make sure your cluster does NOT have a green film already as blue LEDs will NOT shine through.

I followed the instructions in another thread and bought the bright blue LEDs suggested.

After installing the LEDs and adjusting them so all were lit, I was met by a dimly lit aqua colored instrument cluster with plenty of dark spots and dark needles (The instrument/headlight knob was turned on maximum brightness).

During research I learned that any model year can have either clear or green film - it's the luck of the draw.

So if you are thinking of doing this make sure you have a clear film in your cluster!

don't know about green film but some mustangs have blue film from factor
it's just the yellow looking bulbs that make it look green remember blue + yellow = green
do not use blue LED's use super bright 100% white LED's that's all u need for a blue
cluster

98MACH1R > No problem. I did read *a lot* about this and I came across quite a few people asking if it was possible to remove the green film, but I never saw anyone answering that question, only speculating whether or not it was possible to sand it. What grit do you recommend and can you use the same method for the HVAC?

johnnyt03gt> You are right about the blue film and I did read about using white LEDs for those cases as blue LEDs would be too dim, however for those with green film this trick doesn't work.

dont want to lie to u dont know about sanding
i do know on my 03 it came with blue film
on new edge cars it's not the film it's the yellow bulbs
the suck just keep looking around ask people who know
ima go to after work ill do some research on ur car
and get back to u tonight

Like the OP said, it's luck of the draw. I have an 03 with green film and my bulbs are white. I went through all the crap and ended up buying a Mach 1 gauge cluster that has no film on it's backing and my needles are still dark. I don't like it but I have way too much time and money in stupid gauges. Could've bought speedhut custom gauges and turned out better. I have several posts and pictures about my trials and tribulations posted in that giant LED thread somewhere.
So yes, check your gauges before you buy LED's.

I'm just going to leave mine as is. Sanding them down to make them clear and then possibly not being able to see the needles or not having the same brightness as the original doesn't make it worth it to me.

evil281, the only way I could tell what film I had was to remove the cluster from the car (removal instructions here). There are openings all around the cluster and you can look through them to see what film you have. Look carefully because the colored film is only located where light will shine through to illuminate the digits and symbols.

I don't have the time or patience to look through that other gigantic thread, but what is the reason that the needles don't light up after changing out the bulbs? I would like to swap my cluster bulbs, but I would like for my needles to maintain their glow.

Don't you all think it would make more sense to try to make the gauges RED, if anything? Blue is the most difficult color for the human eye to see, and completely ruins night vision. Green is the easiest color for the human eye to see, which is probably why so many cars used to have green clusters. Red is best for night vision, which is probably why BMW uses it in their gauges.

Don't you all think it would make more sense to try to make the gauges RED, if anything? Blue is the most difficult color for the human eye to see, and completely ruins night vision. Green is the easiest color for the human eye to see, which is probably why so many cars used to have green clusters. Red is best for night vision, which is probably why BMW uses it in their gauges.

u still run into the issue with the green film, or does the red simply just work anyway? if ur gona go thru the hassle y not a color u like?