CEL...

JungleJoe

I was like well chit..Im missing something
Jul 25, 2011
Mo.
Ok, just bought another coupe, the one in my avatar, but got a question...
I'm trying to work out the bugs with this thing, first of all,put it up on jackstands to put the X-pipe on(bbk) got it done, took it for a ride around the block,feels like its rideing on a 2x4!! Somehow the struts gave way, anyone ever heard of this??
Secong, its got the damn idle surging and running super rich...I have replaced the EGR,Both 02's,tps.
The car has a 70 mm TB edelbrock intake,bbk shorties and exhaust, its a 5 speed..
When checking the codes with a jumper wire, the codes come up 81 and 82. However, when I start it to run it and check the codes,the CEL doesnt work, it doesnt work even with out the jumper wire.
Basically, when you turn the key forward, is it(cel) suppose to come on without the jumper wire in place?
One other thing,the hoses back there on the passenger side by the tailpipe, one of them has a hole burnt in it(LUCKILY IT WASNT THE MAIN GAS LINE :jaw:) but is that somekind of vacume or just a vent hose? Its not the small line with the metal line that goes up in the frame......
Sorry for the run on post.....

• Sponsors (?)

No info about your car's model year, no mods listed. Makes it hard to troubleshoot when we don't know what you have.

Therefore, no clue as to which wiring diagram you need. The wiring changed several times between 79 & 95.

That's why it is a good idea to use the sig under the user control panel (User CP) option. It allows you to post your car year & mods, which help greatly when troubleshooting things. No, it is not there for us to snoop and see any "Secrets" you have hidden away under the hood. Be a good stangnetter and update you sig for future reference & don't keep us guessing.

Be sure to turn off the A/C, and put the transmission in neutral when dumping the codes. On a manual transmission car, be sure to press the clutch to the floor. Fail to do this and you will generate a code 67 and not be able to dump the Engine Running codes.

Yea I know all that.. but thanks
car is a 91 5.0- 5 speed,56K original miles!, edelbrock intake 70mm TB,underdrive pullies,tremec tko,gears, 1 5/8 shorties,Xpipe,2 1/2 inch exaust all the way back, junkyard cold air, (bbk) coming after I get it runing right.... thats all I know about the car.

actually, I did put the mods in the first post. . . .

Dont have a cig option yet under my name... But I know all about the stickie thats floating around about the surging idle on these cars,read over it SEVERAL times.. New to Stangnet, not the game...LOL

Not sure what a junkyard cold air is, but i'd start by putting a factory box in with a k&n panel.
Do NOT waste your money on a bbk cold air kit.
The tank hose is just a vent line, just use a union and patch it back together and zip tip it out of the way.

As far as the struts, if they gave out, my first thought would be the car is bouncy not solid like a 2x4.
I've had vehicles that broke a shock mount, and hitting bumps made it seem like i had hydraulics.
Yours sounds more like a spring issue.

Thanks for the info 2000xp8!! Yea its just like a hydraulic car, litterally bouncing off the road! Hmmmm, When I put the stands under the front, i sit them kinda on the lower A-arm right where it bolts to the car. What in hell would cause the springs to do that? I do see a rubber looking thing inside the spring, is that something thats suppose to be there? I just jacked the car back up under the center,and the tires come down like normal when jackig the car,then I let it back down, the went back up in the fender well just like normal.....VERY STRANGE!!

Thanks... I just did the engine running check...codes are 33 44 and 94. Would any of these cause the surging or running extremely rich?
Also, i need to know where i can get a good wireing diagram, I need to dig ino this more to see what the hel is going on with the CEL not working like it should... THANKS FELLAS!!

Code 44 and 94....assume smog pump is gone? If so that's wht those codes are. They don't affect running. Ignore them.

Code 33 is egr inoperative. Is yours hooked up or deleted? This can sometimes cause surge.

Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds
88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host) for help on 88-95 wiring Mustang FAQ - Wiring & Engine Info Everyone should bookmark this site.

Ignition switch wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif

Fuel, alternator, A/C and ignition wiring
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 88-91 Mass Air Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 91-93 Mass Air Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/91-93_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Vacuum diagram 89-93 Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/mustangFoxFordVacuumDiagram.jpg

HVAC vacuum diagram
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/Mustang_AC_heat_vacuum_controls.gif

TFI module differences & pinout
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/TFI_5.0_comparison.gif

Fuse box layout
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/MustangFuseBox.gif

Attachments

• 88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif
    88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif
    168.5 KB · Views: 56
I just put a brand new EGR on it and the sensor.....hmmmm Smog pump is there with the belt on it, just doesn't have the tube running to the x-pipe.It wasn't there when I bought the car(the smog tube)..
Welp ,time to get to studying those links J posted up....fun fun fun...

Well, did figure out why it was like riding on a 2x4....for whatever the reason, the struts locked up as soon as i jacked it up and the tires came off the ground! I put new struts on it, BAM, problem fixed....taking it to the "pros" to put it on a computer to see whats going on with it...report back at a later date....

UPDATE!!!!! well, i was checking for vacume leaks to day, found one! On the firewall, there is that black vacume junction((see picture)).Well, somone crossed one of the vacume lines and used one that was to big for the black box on the firewall,I dont know whats it called, baro or map sensor. My brothers 92 vert is an automatic, my car is a 91 coupe 5 speed. His box did not have a vacume line going to it and mine does, it wouldnt run with out vacume hooked to it, in fact, it was dumping so much fuel into it that it shut off! The surging is "almost" gone now by fixing the vacume line, not all the way, but close.....need to change the plugs also, they have to be gas fouled after today.
Did the code dump on it today to... it flashed '7' for 4 times. What does that mean?
Still getting the egr code, its going to ford in the moring...... will report back on what they find!

Attachments

• 11111.JPG
    11111.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 52
The black box in the picture is the BARO sensor,

On a Mass Air car, the MAP/BARO sensor vents to open air and actually acts to sense the barometric pressure due to changes in weather and altitude. Its purpose is to set a baseline for the computer to know the barometric pressure. As barometric pressure decreases, it leans out the fuel flow to compensate for less oxygen in the air. When the barometric pressure rises, it increases to add fuel since there is more oxygen in the air. The fuel requirements decrease as altitude increases, since the atmospheric pressure decreases.

OK, So why does a 92 automatic convertable NOT have a vacume line going to the bottom of it and my 91 5 speed car does? Its even got the same part number on it.
Very strange if you ask me.....
The guy I bought this car from says when he bought it, it didnt have a MAF on it. I instantly thought it was converted to speed density. I'm dropping it off at ford in about 10 minutes......my hair hurts now from chasing gremlins....LOL

On any year Mass Air car 89+ there should not be a vac line hook to the MAP sensor....

Dropping off at Ford to chase gremlins, hope your pockets are deep...Diagnostics at a dealer is EXPENSIVE.