Cement on my car :/

Slapyo

Admin Dude
Feb 8, 2003
Anaheim, CA
So what I thought was bird crap ended up being cement. I didn't even see when it got on the car. I washed my car today and noticed it wouldn't come off. This stuff is rock hard. I must have been on the freeway and got behind a cement truck or something. But I have 2 spots where there are pretty good sizes pieces. Is their any way to remove this without having to take it down to the body shop?

I'm close to just taking it down there and having the body shop fix those spots and a couple other dings and chips. But if I could remove the cement myself without damaging my car I'd do that.

• Sponsors (?)

4u2nv said:
I'm going to get a body tech in here to help. :)
unfortunately, i dont know of a sure fire way to remove it w/o damaging the paint for sure. i would try some adhesive remover and see what happens. then i would try a sturdy putty knife and try to chisel it off carefully. you might peel the paint a bit, but you could touch it up for a temp. fix. if you are taking it to a shop anyway, maybe they know a better way to do it. i have never tried to remove cement before. i have done dried bright yellow highway paint that we had to basically scrape off and then buff.

if the shop just had to feather out the paint if it does chip the paint, that would be cheaper than having them remove the cement also... :shrug:

Here are 2 pics.

Attachments

• Image001.jpg
    Image001.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Image002.jpg
    Image002.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 134
Be careful what you put on the car as far as chemicals and solvents. Home Depot sells cement remover to clean up walkway tiles and other projects, but I am not sure if you would want you risk putting something capable of dissolving cement on your paint.

Have you tried a plastic or rubber putty knife, gently prodding the pieces of cement??

The other suggestion I would have is to have someone knowledgeable try to POSSIBLY wet-sand the actual cement until they get through it, and then buff the whole area.

Have you checked with any of the local hardware or home improvement stores. They must have something that you can use to dissolve the cement. I'm sure people have had to remove cement from tiles or floors or something.
Just dab the cement remover on the cement with a toothpick or fine brush, keep plenty of water nearby incase you get it on the paint, and after letting the remover sit for a few seconds, try to either wipe it gently or rub it off with a finger nail or rubber putty knife.

http://www.topoftheline.com/cement-concrete-remover-auto.html

Try a pressure washer :shrug: , but if the concrete has already dried on the paint, chances are it has stained it. :(

EDIT

http://www.topoftheline.com/tolae/cement-concrete-remover-auto.html $20.00

tolae_1880_202387618

For years, our customers have been asking, "How can I remove the cement splattered all over my car?" This is the only product we've found that can do it safely, and effectively.

RoMix Chemical Company developed this molecular cement dissolver as an alternative to using hazardous acids for concrete removal. Back-Set is a one-of-a-kind formula. It uses an active ingredient found in sugar cane syrup, and is completely biodegradable.

The effects of sugar on concrete have been known for many years. In some parts of the world, sugar is commonly used to retard the set of mortar. the December 1957 issue of "Concrete Construction" said, "Sugar affects both fresh and hardened concrete. ... Dry sugar has no effect on hardened concrete, but sugar solutions can be very corrosive."

RoMix turned this vulnerability into an opportunity. "Back-Set" safely removes hardened concrete from a variety of difficult to clean surfaces. It break down the ionic bond in portland cement, releasing the cement from any surface to which it has adhered.

Chemically speaking, Back-Set converts the positive ions in the hardened matrix into negative ions, which dissolves the cement into mud that can be rinsed away. Because it works chemically, rather than mechanically, Back-Set may be used to remove cured concrete, mortar, grout, and stucco from virtually any surface without harm.

Application:

The hardened concrete is saturated with Back-Set, either with a brush or by spraying. After 15-20 minutes, the area is again saturated with the chemical. The concrete typically begins to soften in 20-30 minutes, and can be rinsed off with water.

Specifications:

Biodegradable
Non-hazardous
Non-fuming
Safe for paint, chrome, aluminum, glass, rubber, plastic, brass & stainless
Dissolves cured cement, concrete, mortar, grout, stucco
Cleans aluminum
32 oz. comes with a foaming spray nozzle

the story i got from the paint rep is this. try to chip off the cement with a plastic razor blade the best you can. when it is mostly off, and maybe just a speck or two remains, use some 1000 grit sand pader and a block to try to level the remaining concrete. then polish to a fine shine. i dont know if this will actually work, but thats what he told me. :shrug:

No results yet. Been busy with work and getting taces all done lately. But before that I had forgotten about it lol. I think I am going to take the car down to this body shop I know pretty well and talk with the guy down there and see what he has to say about it. I will show him the cement remover stuff and find out what he thinks about it.