CF Body

kingoleer

Dec 16, 2003
I seriously think that if I can get the money together I would get a custom made carbon fiber body for the late model GT I wanna get soon. I wonder how much the actual body itself weighs and how much I would save as far as weight went if I got the cf body... Any feedback, positive or negative is welcome. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

kingoleer said:
I seriously think that if I can get the money together I would get a custom made carbon fiber body for the late model GT I wanna get soon. I wonder how much the actual body itself weighs and how much I would save as far as weight went if I got the cf body... Any feedback, positive or negative is welcome. Thanks!

Uh, not to dash your hopes, but a relatively cheap/poor quality CF hood made from a pre-existing mold costs $600+.
Do you have any idea how much a 1-off CF body would cost? You could probably go out and buy a couple brand new 03-04 cobras for what it would run you.

Carbon-creations.com they make fenders for our car and they are only like 400 bucks. saleen made a full kit four car that costed like over 10 grand and it included wide fenders, bumpers, side skirts, roof scoop, hood, spoiler, so you could definatley get a lot of pieces but as for the whole body... Lot of money!

Yeah it was the 66lb porsche that sparked the idea in my head. I didn't realize that an entire CF body would be about 3-4 03 cobras!!! I thought maybe $20,000 but not that much. Oh well, I can hope can't I??

kingoleer said:
Yeah it was the 66lb porsche that sparked the idea in my head. I didn't realize that an entire CF body would be about 3-4 03 cobras!!! I thought maybe $20,000 but not that much. Oh well, I can hope can't I??

Yea, I could be wrong... but I imagine it would be well above 20k for an entire body. No one makes such a thing, so you would have to have the molds custom made and also most final steps that goes into making carbon fiber parts are completely by hand. Imagine if you wrecked a car with a CF body... :jaw:

Theres a reason you really only see lots of CF on F1s, and custom supercars that cost $200k+ :D

Yea just think of the monster of an engine you could build for the same amount you would spend in just carbon fiber...sounds like a waste to me, other than just a cool conversation piece. Ugh id never drive the thing for fear id screw it up somehow.
Matt