cfi to carb help!!!!!

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
OK i started the swap, i got the intake out, and pulled the computer, and the harness that connected to it. Now I'm trying to get the wires i need set aside, i looked at the tech thing on the swap and i can only find some of the wires listed. the main ones i need to find are the ones for the tack and the ones for the fuel pump, how do i test for to find them, thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The fuel pump wire is tan. You will have to find a switched power source for it as well as find the ground; both previously went through the computer. It is easiest to trace the wiring back from the relay under the seat, you will then be able to confirm you got the right wires. As far as the tach goes, I never did get a good answer on how to hook the tach. to an aftermarket ignition. I went to an aftermarket tach. Let me know if you get an answer on the tach. I would like to hook the factory one back up.

yeah i've used fletcher's site, when i removed the pc, there was like 3 or 4 wires i had to cut that came off the harness and ran back into the dash somewhere, you 2 were tan, 1 was red and one was yellow i think, you think thay were the wires i need?

how do i tell if it's it, i ran a ground to them both and power to them both, and no luck, what seat do i find them under? thanks am i looking for one wire or 2 or 3, all tan? thanks

still no luck, i looked in the chiltens and it said it was pink and the only pink wire i found ran into the bottom of the coil and ran power and ground to it and no luck at all, help!!!

i've not fired it up yet to see if it's right, but the green wire that goes into the old coil is the wire for the tach, i put power to it and the tack jumped, so i hooked it up, once i get it fired up i'll post if it works

So i wwnt to your profile to see of you had anymore info on the cfi to carb swap but hsd no luck. I currently have an 85 gt convertible with aod and cfi, i had a bolt that the previous owner snapped off and just fillied it full of rtv and stuck the other half in but finally managed to get the bolt out so i could install the intake i got, i put my edelbrock f4b in and have a 600 cfm edelbrock carb to go with and bjt im ditching the dual snorkel for an edelbrock open filter, looks better to me, the only thing i cannot find is what vaccum lines i dont need and what i need to do to get it running again, i left the stock vaccum advance distributor, and the carb is also vaccum advance, but what all can i rip out? Sorry for the long question list, bit the jason fletcher link is no longer active and im a little ( alot ) lost. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160828_151327.jpg
    20160828_151327.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 120
Ok, trying to remember what I ran into, this was 10 years ago. I don't think you can use the cfi dizzy, I think you gotta get a carb one , or one of those all in one units.

You'll also have to get a new throttle cable and tb cable.

I actually just built my own throttle bracket to mount to the carb and have read a few things about how you can use the original throttle line but it will just have a stiff petal compared to the lokar cable, as for the dizzy, my mustang had a vaccum advance distributor and i have a vaccum advance carb, i bought most of the top end from my boss and he swears the stock dizzy will work. And it has the steel gear not the plastic. As for the vacum lines the kid who had the car before me said he didnt know what went to what so im a lottle screwed there