Changed brakes,now I have a whistle?

PonyGrl420

Founding Member
Jun 18, 2002
SC
I put the EBC cross drilled and slotted front rotors and the green stuff pads on my car. Now it whistles, sounds almost like a supercharger but not as loud.
At first it was only while braking, now its on and off while moving. I can only hear it at slow speeds and its pretty quiet (probably makes it at higher speeds but cant hear it) It gets a lot louder when I brake. It seems like its slowley getting louder and more constant.
Anyone have any idea what it is??

• Sponsors (?)

400 highway miles is different that city since your not using the brakes much. So if your puttig mostly highway miles then give it more time. I still blame the pads because they are a more performance oriented pad.

Drilled rotors tend to crack at the holes, and are more prone to warping. Of course there is much controversy about this, but if you do REAL research, it's true. Solid rotors are the way to go, unless you like the looks of any other rotor. theres a few reasons why they would be good, but we are talking about break noise here....lets not get off subject and start a flame war on this again lol.

are the holes in the rotors chamfered?

rotors will have one method of break-in and pads have a different (burnishing) procedure. rotor break-in often requires easier driving than pad burnishing. so having driven on the highway more is not a bad thing, IMHO.

but if you have used the pads some, they should have gassed by now (the actual heat cycling from driving helps them gas too).

with the wheels you might have and the aerodynamics down there, you simply might have a situation like blowing across a straw (ok, i forgot who the crowd is in here - blowing across the top of an open beer bottle. :D J/K ).

other than swapping components, Chris' advice is as good as any i can think of - just observe how they continue to act/sound.

good luck with it ( EDIT: I say good luck on most posts - not anything specific about your situation :) ).

Yea I know about cross drilled rotors craking. There arnt acutally drilled all the way through, I forget what ebc calls it. I wanted just slotted, but my bf gets really good deals on these (he works for a parts wholesaler) so I figured id try em.

The slots in the rotors are also supposed to be wider then most slotted rotors. I was thinkin it might just be the air flow. Ive never had slotted rotors on a car before so I dont know.
Its been a mix of highway/stop and go. So I would think evething should be pretty broken in. It just worries me that it seems to be gettin worse.