Changing S197 Fuel Filter

• Sponsors (?)

Jack up the car, the fuel line and filter runs down the driver's side "frame rail". There is a black panel under the door that you need to remove. Than there are clips that hold the fuel filter in and you'll be able to remove the fuel filter. I use a rag under the fuel filter to catch any excess fuel. Put the new one on and make sure those clips snap in place. Also make sure the fuel filter's direction arrow is flowing the correct way. Very easy, the hardest part about it is taking off the damn plastic panel.

Jack up the car, the fuel line and filter runs down the driver's side "frame rail". There is a black panel under the door that you need to remove. Than there are clips that hold the fuel filter in and you'll be able to remove the fuel filter. I use a rag under the fuel filter to catch any excess fuel. Put the new one on and make sure those clips snap in place. Also make sure the fuel filter's direction arrow is flowing the correct way. Very easy, the hardest part about it is taking off the damn plastic panel.

The only other thing I did was pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine to eliminate any pressure in the line. I don't know if it helped as I did have to mop fuel trapped in the lines but it couldn't hurt.

+1 on that plastic panel being a PITA.

Everything NastyStang said is correct.:nice:

I also pulled the fuse, but still had some leak out. The plastic panel wasn't too bad upon removal, but putting it back on was the PITA!

Just changed mine Gas was filthy and crap came out of the filter at 21000.Just unbolt 3 10mm bolts 1 push pin and swing cover out of the way no need to take off the whole cover. One 10mm bollt holds filter and it also swings down. I did take out the fuse and the fuel lines come off easy just push in the green button with your finger nail and the fuel lines slide off. Car now has quicker response this was a very easy job $9 filter at Autozone and the dealer wanted $98.