changing shifter what's the best fluid for my T5

Roland69

Sergeant Tangnet
Sep 17, 2005
Port Elgin, Ontario
I thought I should change the fluid while I have the shifter out but what should I replace it with. I know ATF is what it calls for but should I go synthetic....what brand do you guy's reccomend. Should I take the fill plug out or just put 2.6 litres in.

• Sponsors (?)

I have been using Redline for several years now.

Next change however, I will use Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is easier to find here in Seatown.

Just make sure it is an appropriate ATF.

jason

I run D4 personally. If you drive the car in a cold climate (cold morning starts), the synthetic might be nice. I use it for 110*F ambient temps in the summer (opposite extreme).

You are not going to go too far wrong, so dont sweat it too much.

Good luck.

I'm lost. The difference between Mercon and MV is application. MV is a blend that's designed with electronic tranny calibration in mind.

And it seems to me that the Dexron stuff is GM fluid.

None of that really matters.

Go to the parts store and get some Dex3/Mercon (Mercron?) The store brand ATF will be blended for both GM applications and Ford Applications. Just don't get the stuff for Chrysler vehicles, which is ATF+4 IIRC. Either synthetic or regular. That is pretty much all there is to it.

Personally, I run the regular stuff because I change it often.

I run Royal Purple Dex/Mer. III synthetic.

I had always used regualar tranny fluid until this last change when I put Royal Purple in. I had never had any tranny grinding problems until after the RP was in...but it was after a hard trip at the track. I never had the problem before with hard shifts...

I doubt it matters much...and the Redline D4 is good stuff from what I understand.