Changing speedo drive gear from 8 to 7 tooth?

johnny_munyak

Aug 7, 2008
Was considering a gear change so was also considering a kit to calibrate the speedo correctly. Problem is, can this gear swap be done with the transmission in the car? Level of difficulty?? Job better left for tranny shop???

83-95 Mustang Speedometer Gear Kit For T5 With 3.73 Rear Gears by Ford at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

When using a speedcal, do you leave the stock driven speedo gear in place? Would I have to remove my current 23 tooth and reinstall the stock 18 (2.73 stock ratio) tooth speedo driven gear and then install the speedcal??

• Sponsors (?)

Not worried about the competent mechanic......justifying options of cost.

Option 1 - Speedcal is about $100 and not very difficult to install.

Option 2 - $25 - Yellow 7-tooth drive gear/21 tooth red driven requires tail end of transmission to be removed...which according to other things I've read......requires a removal of the shifter, cross member, and a transmission jack to hold tranny in place and to tilt it enough to allow the tail end to clear. Obviously with a gear change the driveshaft is getting removed anyways, so that point is moot.

Option 2 sounds like a lot more work and cost of labour to get it installed....not to mention the necessity of a lift to do it.

I'm not ruling out either option at this point until I can get some costs figured out.

Does the speecal require the driven gear be changed? I currently run a 23 tooth to match my 3.55s..

Taking that tail section off can be done in the car, but it's a pain in the ass. It's best to take the transmission out. It's only 4 more bolts once you have everything else off. With the transmission on a bench, it's not that bad. You have to have a good punch pin to punch all the roll pins out of the shifter mechanism.

Kurt

However, there is one other benefit from just using the speedcal and calling it a day. If you are to ever change gearing deeper/lower in the future again, its as simple as just changing dip switches. IF you got up to 4.10/4.30, they you are changing the drive gear again......not to mention the labour to have someone do the work will far exceed the cost of a speed cal.

I would recommend the speedcal as well. However, don't use the 23 tooth driven gear as it is not meshing well and will fail in time. Switch to any other tooth gear and use the speedcal to correct. If you need at a later date to tear down the tranny down install a 6 tooth drive gear and the correct driven gear and sell the speedcal.

yeah,keep the stock drive/driven speedo gear.

use speedcal setting for your stock ratio (2.73) to whatever gear your going to run.

(there is a used speedcal for sale in the corral.net classifieds section for $50)