Chattering Clutch - Normal?¿?

Wknd_Warrior

TunaMan
Founding Member
Jan 31, 2000
New Jersey
I just put a Stage 1 Spec in my 92 vert along with a new FMS flywheel, to and pilot bearings....

It is chattering like crazy, and I can smell clutch burning. Doesn't seem any better after 200 miles. Called Spec and they said the break in is 500 miles. Does that seem right to you guys? Has anyone had this problem?crapola

• Sponsors (?)

You are not the first one to report chatter from an Stg 2 during break-in, but I cant say more.

The multiple pilot bearings might be an issue. :rlaugh: J/K man.

How is your clutch adjustment? If the point of engagement is near the top of the pedal, I would play with that to get more freeplay.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
The multiple pilot bearings might be an issue. :rlaugh: J/K man.
to and pilot bearings = Throw Out and Pilot Bearings....
:rolleyes:
How would clutch adjustment cause chattering? it automatically adjusts the freeplay with the quadrant setup....?

Also, it doesn't slip, no vibrations (other than the chattering), and pedal feel is good. My Stage 3 in my GT chattered til I raced it.... but this one seems to be stubborn.

I guess I will drive it some more and see what happens...

Wknd_Warrior said:
to and pilot bearings = Throw Out and Pilot Bearings....
:rolleyes:
How would clutch adjustment cause chattering? it automatically adjusts the freeplay with the quadrant setup....?
The common acronym/shorthand for throw out bearing is TOB or TO-bearing (the capitalization lets us know it is not the preposition 'to'. :rolleyes: ).

If your clutch adjustment is too tight, the slippage could have caused hot spotting and subsequent chattering.

The stock quadrant and pawl do self-adjust until they break. Having too much preload is not likely with that set up. With the age of these cars, I generally assume that people are not running the stock quadrant. My bad.