Cheap turbo set up any good?

• Sponsors (?)

I've spent some time hanging around turbomustangs.com and I've seen maybe 1 or 2 people that say they have had luck, but for the most part they are junk. If you are looking to build a cheap setup, look into doing a DIY turbo kit. I plan on doing one this winter with a t70 turbo. Hoping to keep cost at or below $1200.

95_5.0_stang said:
I've spent some time hanging around turbomustangs.com and I've seen maybe 1 or 2 people that say they have had luck, but for the most part they are junk. If you are looking to build a cheap setup, look into doing a DIY turbo kit. I plan on doing one this winter with a t70 turbo. Hoping to keep cost at or below $1200.

Thanks I will take a look at that link.

Black Stampede said:
You aren't gonna do a T70 DIY for $1200 bucks. No way. You need to re-add your cost if you think thats possible.

Yea, I noticed that, last night I started adding things up, it will be more, but I'm hoping not much. I have a buddy of mine that owns an exhaust shop so I won't pay out the ass for bent tubing. So that will save a good amount of money right there. When I post that price, I'm saying JUST for the turbo setup, no tune, or supporting fuel mods. It's a mostly stock motor, but I'll be putting in a 255lph pump and you think 42lb injectors?

95_5.0_stang said:
Yea, I noticed that, last night I started adding things up, it will be more, but I'm hoping not much. I have a buddy of mine that owns an exhaust shop so I won't pay out the ass for bent tubing. So that will save a good amount of money right there. When I post that price, I'm saying JUST for the turbo setup, no tune, or supporting fuel mods. It's a mostly stock motor, but I'll be putting in a 255lph pump and you think 42lb injectors?

Yeah, 42s, dont forget mass air, ignition, intercooler, wastegate, all the silicon, V-bands. It really adds up.

Black Stampede said:
Yeah, 42s, dont forget mass air, ignition, intercooler, wastegate, all the silicon, V-bands. It really adds up.

Plus for a decent T70 you're going to want to start with the very minimum of a MP. none of that super T70 crap. so that's $500 right there. Mass Air and 42lb injectors will probably be $300 at the least, WG, BOV and IC will be around $300 if you go cheap

+ cold side, hot side, fuel pump, breakage, gauges,

the biggest 'marginal' cost will be the tune though...and that's what a lot of people leave out of their cost equation. annnd it's probably the most important part.

There's no way I can build a kit for under $2000 CAD...and that's all DIY

(BTW this isn't directed to you BlackStampede)

Black Stampede said:

Yes, I got most of that into account. I understand for the most part, what all is needed, now it's just figuring out specifically what I want for each part.

A MPt70 is what I am going with.

A MP t70 is what I have and its going to end up costing around $3500 tuned. I'm almost done with the kit. There is no way around it as I am not buying extra parts I don't really need or anything. You need to be realistic with building a turbo kit and realistically parts wise its gonna be around 3 grand plus about $500 for a tune. Do a search for Rio95. We are making mine just like his.

Black Stampede said:
A MP t70 is what I have and its going to end up costing around $3500 tuned. I'm almost done with the kit. There is no way around it as I am not buying extra parts I don't really need or anything. You need to be realistic with building a turbo kit and realistically parts wise its gonna be around 3 grand plus about $500 for a tune. Do a search for Rio95. We are making mine just like his.

Alright, I understand ya. Can you give me a list with the major peices of the turbo kit with prices. Exclude piping and v-band's/couplers from price list. I should be able to get a real good deal on those components. I also won't be spending any money on welding wire/gas because I'm going to tack the pipe's at home and take them to my community college and finish welding. I just am not understanding how it can be $3500 for a DIY kit. Here is a SMALL list of some prices of some major things. Most these prices are for BRAND NEW and some say I could get away with a DSM BOV which would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

MP T-70 Turbo - $600
42# injectors and MAF - $300
Tial 38mm Wastegate - $200
Tial 50mm BOV- $200
Intercooler- $150
255lph Fuel Pump- $100
----------------------
$1,550 + you say $500 for tune = $2,050

I bet I could get away with $2,200 bucks at most, and if I find some "hookups" maybe less.
I wasn't including any of the supporting fuel (injectors/pump/tune) in my original price, just the base turbo setup.

As far as a tune goes, are you just having a chip made or what?
I'm not trying to argue with you at all, it's knocking sense into my head actually. Just trying to see what else you have that needs to be added to price. Thanks!