Check engine LIGHT - After HEADERS

Posted on mod depot but no one said anything useful except "get a tune"

My friend on his 96 mustang got flowtech longtubes installed and an o/r x pipe with MIL's. He had since had a check engine light, not for not having cats but for the oxygen sensor 1 on bank 1 having a delayed response. =/ It runs great and made a hell of a difference in power, but what can he do to get this corrected? I've heard of header wrap before? Is that something he should try? I'm going to install BBK's on my car this weekend and dont want a check engine light at all. That wont fly with me. =/ Lemme know! Thanks alot

• Sponsors (?)

Turbo92PGT said:
Posted on mod depot but no one said anything useful except "get a tune"

My friend on his 96 mustang got flowtech longtubes installed and an o/r x pipe with MIL's. He had since had a check engine light, not for not having cats but for the oxygen sensor 1 on bank 1 having a delayed response. =/ It runs great and made a hell of a difference in power, but what can he do to get this corrected? I've heard of header wrap before? Is that something he should try? I'm going to install BBK's on my car this weekend and dont want a check engine light at all. That wont fly with me. =/ Lemme know! Thanks alot

Hey man, I have the same EXACT problem on mine. My car throws a code for the front 02 sensor heater on bank 1. I use to have MAC LT headers, and thought since they had no real coating the heat was slipping through and throwing the sensor off. But, I have since switched up to BBK LT's and have the same CEL code. Im thinking it may be the 02 sensor, so I am going to try that first, maybe swap the 2 fronts around and see if the code jumps to bank 2. But yeah, I have been told the same thing, only thing that cures it for sure is to get a tune with a heater delay to compensate for the LT's. When I had my MAC's I also considered doing header wrap, but didnt want to trap moisture in, they already had no coating. I have a couple friends with LT's and they have no CEL lights, never have! Bastards! One friend has an 04' GT with MAC's and has no problem. So Im really hoping its just the front 02, but hearing you have the same problem with the same sensor doesnt make me too sure on that now, haha. Does your friend just throw one code? I throw two for the same sensor, P1131 and P0135. Let me know if your friend finds a fix, I might try the 02 sensor thing this weekend when I switch out my catback. I HATE THE CEL Light! Especially when driving at night, that damn yellow glare!

Since LT move back front O2, basicaly exhaust gases gets too cold befor it hits O2 senser. What brinkstang said is somewhat true. No coating=more heat loss.
I have BBK celamic coated header, and CEL came on intermittinly after i installed them, But after month or so of driving, i haven't had any probrems. When i asked people with this probrem, noone seems to have had any real solution for it. Only thing I could think of that will fix the probrem is have tuner tune it out. otherwise, u can try to wrap it with theral wrap and cross your fingers

Someone at corral told me that if i lean it out, that'll makes my combustion temp goes up, and cure the O2 issue... wtf?

Or you could have the front O2 sensors moved up closer to the primary tubes. Ive got the same problem and Ive got Jet-Hot coated longtubes. The guy that does my work suggested moving the front O2 sensors up closer and he said that would cure the problem.

CobraM23 said:
Or you could have the front O2 sensors moved up closer to the primary tubes. Ive got the same problem and Ive got Jet-Hot coated longtubes. The guy that does my work suggested moving the front O2 sensors up closer and he said that would cure the problem.
ok old post but im having the same problem..

would moving them up farther effect anything? would it be b4 or after the collector?

i need to cure this CEL before i can pass state inspection

As these guys said the problem is the snesor is further away now. this can be fixed in a few ways..

first thing I would do is get a new sensor, the heater element on your old one might be a little weak, then wrap the header the best you can and see if that helps. If that don't help make sure you have no exhaust leaks on that side and call the company that made the headers. worst case you should be able to have the parameters for the pcm setting that code altered with a custom tune.

svttech76 said:
As these guys said the problem is the snesor is further away now. this can be fixed in a few ways..

first thing I would do is get a new sensor, the heater element on your old one might be a little weak, then wrap the header the best you can and see if that helps. If that don't help make sure you have no exhaust leaks on that side and call the company that made the headers. worst case you should be able to have the parameters for the pcm setting that code altered with a custom tune.
sensors are new (replaced them thinking they were bad) ill email my tuner and see what he says.. maybe ill try the heat wrap also. thanks for the reply :nice:

Thats odd...I never had any CEL after my BBK LTs. Actually i never had a CEL light in 45000 miles. :shrug:

Stock sensors....but I had a dyno tune before I got the LTs. Maybe the car runs lean enough (13-1 AF) to keep them hot. :shrug: