check engine light and stalling

grn4banger

Founding Member
Feb 15, 2001
Nazareth/ PSU, PA
Hey guys,

About a month ago my check engine light came on and stayed on. Went to AutoZone and they pulled the code and said that the left bank was running lean. They suggested some premium gas and some fuel injector cleaner, which didn't solve the problem. They then suggested the o2 sensor, which I haven't gotten a chance to replace yet.

Just this week, I've had additional problems, however. First, when putting the car into neutral, or pressing the clutch pedal, the engine stays at the same RPM as when it was in gear for about 10 seconds, then idles down, and sometimes almost seems like it will stall. When I first start the car, and wait for it to run through the initial idle up and down, it also tends to stall, but only once.

Could this all be related to the o2 sensor or should I be looking at something else? Thanks!

-Justin

• Sponsors (?)

i wud think so cuz if ur sensor isnt letting the right amount of oxygen in it cud def cause the engine to do funny things with ur rpms especially at start up and between shifts when ur not pumping in more gas

That's kinda what I was figuring...but the odd part is that my gas mileage is still pretty good. I was under the impression that a bad o2 sensor would deteriorate my mileage pretty badly - especially one that would be causing problems of this sort. I'm not sure if that's sound logic though.

-Justin

true but i think it depends on the type of mileage ur putting on. also it sounds like if its ur sensor its letting too much air in not too much fuel.. idk how much o2 sensors cost so idk if its worth replacing if ur not sure what it is.. maybe someone else can help more...

the same thing happend in our 86 mustang and we took it to auto zone and they told us to do the o2 and that are right bank was running lean wellw e fixed that and it didnt help. so we went out and bought 8 new plugs and put them in and it went away

edit: spelling