Check Engine Light Help

Discussion in '2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech' started by tx-yooper, May 7, 2014.

1. tx-yooper

tx-yooper New Member

Hello, I inherited my Dads '91 LX 2.3l after he died and have a few problems. Check engine light came on, tach would jump 200 to 300 rpm, gas mileage dropped almost in half. I put a scanner on it and replaced the TPS, EGR, and the egr pressure sensor. Car seems to be running better, the rpm's have settled down but still throwing a 332 code( egr not opening). Any ideas? I hate to just swap parts, gets expensive quick. Thanks in advance!
  2. tealtiger93

tealtiger93 Member

Check your vacuum lines for cracks or tears.
  3. 65ShelbyClone

65ShelbyClone Founding Member

I know it's too late now, but the thing to have done would be apply vacuum to the old EGR valve to make sure it wasn't stuck. If it wasn't, then the problem is upstream in the vacuum system that controls it.
  4. tx-yooper

tx-yooper New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry it took so long to respond, sometimes life gets in the way. I changed the vacuum lines, cleared the codes and light reappeared. Still shows a 332, as well as a 334 and a 223. Next step to replace the egr control valve solenoid? Any ideas on how to test the dpi? My local dealer won't work on something this ''old'' and have not found a shop with capabilities either.