Check Engine Light in '88?

Do I have a check engine light in my 88 5.0? I took it to get it smogged and it passed emissions but since the light didn't go on when the key was turned on he failed me. I could have sworn that the 88 doesn't have one but when he checked the book it said 87 doesn't, 88 does. Anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

Go to a different test site.

Is it a Califonia car? '88 non-California cars didn't get Mass-Air. I think the Mass-Air cars got the light and Speed Density cars did not get the light.

'88 Speed Density cars are not equipped with a check engine light. The place is there in the gauge cluster, but there is no wire from the computers harness. As stated before, only the California cars got mass air in '88.

tjm73 said:
331 not working so good?

I know this has been talked about before and it's not that much money to convert. Couple hundred bucks I think. Try a search.
its working fine...BUT it feels like its being held back ALOT.... that speed density is going to be really upset when i throw the 185 afrs on though lol, thanks i didnt even think about doing a search :nice:

88mustang_5.0sb said:
That's what I thought! It's not a CA car so it's speed density. I wonder where I could find proof that the 88 doesn't have a check engine light so he'll pass me. I hate to spend another $30 to go somewhere else. Ideas?

GO backa nd tell him that he needs to do his job and that non CA cars didn't have check engien lights. It's his responsibility to know what he's testing.

If you say it's a Non-CA '88 Mustang he should know, or be able to find the test that's correct for that car. The test should be the same as for an '87 I imagine.

Stupid moron emmisions tester, they will hire any anyone wont' they. Call the CA emmisions board and bitch hard because the tester was wrong and try to get him fired. Even if the CE light doesn't work, I am pretty sure that only applys to '96+ cars.

90mustangGT said:
Stupid moron emmisions tester, they will hire any anyone wont' they. Call the CA emmisions board and bitch hard because the tester was wrong and try to get him fired. Even if the CE light doesn't work, I am pretty sure that only applys to '96+ cars.
Must be nice to never be wrong. So the smog tech made a mistake; doesn't mean he should lose his job. Any car equipped with an MIL, regardless of year, has to have a functioning MIL light.
I also have a non-CA 88 GT and live in CA. Their is place on the cluster for the MIL, but it did not come equipped with the light.

JRPony said:
Must be nice to never be wrong. So the smog tech made a mistake; doesn't mean he should lose his job. Any car equipped with an MIL, regardless of year, has to have a functioning MIL light.
I also have a non-CA 88 GT and live in CA. Their is place on the cluster for the MIL, but it did not come equipped with the light.

Everyone makes mistakes, but a job as simple as that and such a general situation like that should be a no-brainer. Maby I should rephrase what I said. I should have said "Either the inspector was improperly trained or the inspector is a complete idiot". In 1988 CARB required all the cars sold in CA to have the OBD-1 system, but not until 1990 did this become federal standard. The emmisions sticker will indicate California or Federal Emmisions.

If the factory manual states that there is no CEL (someone know?) then maybe you can go to the dealer and they will let you make a copy of that page and the cover of the book to show the source. Then take that with you.

Or I wonder if all else completely fails, you could allow the dude to run codes tos how there are no codes stored in the KAM.

Good luck.